Friday, February 1, 2008

Jeez brace yourselves I been cookin' again THIS IS FOR MEAT LOVERS


Many years ago I attended a genuine Chinese New Years dinner with my first roommate. Her boyfriends family had invited us. We showed up and dined gloriously on all the wonderful usual goodies, I liked the winter melon soup and there was one dish made of chicken gizzards. They had been cooked until TENDER and were served in a lovely dark sauce that tasted FABULOUS.

With the taunt of "chicken hearts and rice" ringing in my ears, I decided to Google a recipe. Shoot I could NOT find any Chinese recipes for tender chicken gizzards. Dang.

HOWEVER, I did find a recipe submitted by Joe Bob Mac his Ma-Ma's recipe for tender chicken gizzards as follows. Be warned, I did not follow the recipe exactly.

A) 4 servings 55 minutes prep time (Hah! a lie of HUGE proportions!)

B) 1/2 lb of chicken gizzards rinsed. (um.. I used a bit under a pound BECAUSE THAT'S THE WAY THEY CAME AND IT WAS THE ONLY PACKAGE AVAILABLE AT THE STORE.)

C) 1/2 cup flour (divided for dredging in two separate containers)

D) 2 liter bottle of COCA-COLA. (Honest to Gawd, Coca-Cola and I used diet because I grabbed it by mistake)

E) 3 EGGS. (I only had one egg I made do with that)

F) 1/2 cup REAL BUTTER (um I used one cube of REAL BUTTER and it worked just fine)

G) 1/2 tsp of multiple spice seasoning Mortons Natures Seasons preferred. ( I used seasoned bread crumbs rather than the second dredging station with seasoned flour)

H) Place rinsed chicken gizzards in boiling pot containing the contents of a 2 liter bottle of Coca-Cola, reduce to simmer for 35 to 45 minutes. (Hmph maybe it takes longer with diet but I simmered the pot for TWO HOURS until they gizzards were FORK TENDER)

I) Remove gizzards and drain, allow to cool for 30 minutes. The cooler the better.

J) In the divided flour, mix the seasoning in one half (leave the other half of the flour plain)

K) Beat the eggs well. place the butter in a medium-large skillet and heat until hot but not burning.

L) Take cooled gizzards, dredge in flour, egg then season flour. IMPORTANT DREDGE IN THAT ORDER.

M) Place the gizzards in the frying pan and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes per side,turning occasionally. Remove when golden brown.

ADDENDUM: Because I had some nicely aged new red potatoes I cut them up, oiled them in a baking dish, sprinkled on Kosher salt and a few grinds of black pepper and roasted them at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes. I served the finished gizzards on top of the potatoes. I made a side dish of three bean salad (garbanzo, kidney and black) with chopped onion, celery and dressing of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and three packets of Splenda.

I could not find a nice French phrase for Chicken Gizzards boiled in Coca-Cola, breaded and sauted in butter. So I'm am going to call this Southern Fried Chicken SURPRISE

HUSBANDS REVIEW: "Pretty good" I wouldn't tell him what it was until he tasted it.

Any one have any better phrases to name this dish, something French, something intriguing, something graceful? Please no scatalogical humor! Winner gets one pound of chicken gizzards, second place gets TWO pounds of chicken gizzards. I crack me up.

6 comments:

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

Sounds like something Rich would like. Just might try it soon. Haven't a clue about a name. Rich's suggestion is not printable. So good luck with that.
Neat table you got. Are you going to refinish it? It could be an heirloom someday for your grandson.

Cathy

yoo hoo said...

So I suppose Chicken Shit won't work eh?
ce

ps, I have NEVER known you to follow a recipe to exactation. Yes that is a made up word, but it works well in this case, exactly.

Anonymous said...

I will refinish the table when Hell freezes over,because husband dislikes chemical smells intensely. But with global warming Hell might melt first.

Anonymous said...

How about:
Gésier de Poulet et nouvelles pommes de terre rouges

Ellen

Gale said...

I say send the chicken gizzards to Ellen.... uh huh!

Anonymous said...

Sounds EVER so elegant, Oh I LOVE the French title, I could not find the correct word for gizzard, I kept getting entrails or some darn thing. Thanks Elfin!!