Friday, January 3, 2020

Take of cup of kindness

I learned to sing Auld Lang Syne as a kid in Junior Highschool.  I was in choir, could not read one musical note, they might as well have been hieroglyphics, I simply just faked it.   I don't remember being told who wrote it or when.

Robert Burns 1788
Lyrics


Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

and auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my jo,
for auld lang syne,
we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,

for auld lang syne.

And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp!
and surely I'll be mine!
And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

We twa hae run about the braes,
and pu'd the gowans fine;

But we've wander'd mony a weary foot,
sin auld lang syne.

We twa hae paidl'd i' the burn,
frae morning sun till dine;

But seas between us braid hae roar'd
sin auld lang syne.

And there's a hand, my trusty fiere!
and gie's a hand o' thine!

And we'll tak a right gude-willy waught,
for auld lang syne.
For auld lang syne, my jo,
for auld lang syne,
we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp!
and surely I'll be mine!
And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.


Now, if ONLY I was personally acquainted to a wee Scottish lad or lassie.  Allegedly I am more or less descended from a Scot who reived for The Bruce.  As a reward he was given the name of Vache, which is French for cow.  For those of you who are not aware, the French aristocracy married into Scottish nobility early and often.  I get a tickle that I'm related to a Scottish cowboy.

As the result of my reading vast quantities of Scottish romance I am aware of a few words; Ken is understand, burn is stream, that word that starts with a U is whiskey.

I can only guess at some of these words from the poem.  Usually when I read a word that I do not understand, I shut my eyes and go "La, la, la, la, la,".  

With the advent of Kindle, I can highlight a word and a definition may or may not pop up.  Sooo.  I am gonna make a WAG, wild assed guess.

Phrase:  Surely you'll be your pint stowp! 
Guess:   Um, pay for my own beer?


Phrase: We twa hae run about the braes,and pu'd the                          gowans fine.
Guess:  Uh boy...we two have run about the pants and did                  something the trees fine?


Phrase: We twa hae paidl'd i' the burn,frae morning sun till                  dine; 
Guess:  I think I got a little closer on this one (cough) We two              have paddled in the creek from dawn to supper.

             
Phrase:But seas between us braid hae roar'd
Guess: (Clears throat)  But seas between us mighty roared?

Phrase: And we'll tak a right gude-willy waught.
Guess: I think in the previous two lines the two people have               clasped hands in friendship. So they can take a right              good waltz.

No wonder we only sing the first six lines.  Sheesh.

FORGIVE ME, Robbie Burns.


No comments: