Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Freeze it?

A few blogs back I mentioned the history and making of the salad that consists of four ingredients; shredded cheddar cheese, two quartered and sliced bananas, a back of miniature marshmallows, can of pineapple tidbits.
  
It's kind of amusing that we never named the salad.  I have seem similar salads called ambrosia but those involve shredded coconut, maybe some nuts.  So.....the salad will probably remain nameless.

Some of the family don't particularly care for it.  But it was always consumed to the last morsel. 

I have made the salad at least annually for the last 25 odd years.  I enjoy it.  Husband does not eat the salad.  We rarely have guests and the salad sits in the fridge; bananas getting progressively darker and entire thing becoming rather unattractive with a hint of pineapple flavored slime.  Ummy.

This most recent holiday, Christmas to be exact.  I was once again faced with slow consumption of the old family favorite.  I wondered if I could freeze the thing.  So I put the rest of it, a good gallon zip lock bags worth, into the bag, zipped it shut and put it in the freezer.  

A couple week later I dragged the salad out and I wondered what a pain it would be to hack out some frozen salad.  On a whim I got out my favorite slice and dice knife and sliced through the ziplock bag. Well, that worked very well.  I put the remainder inside another bag and restored it to the freezer. 

 I put the slice of salad into a bowl minus the slice of zip lock.  It thawed slightly and it was delicious. I wish I had thought of this several nasty salads worth a long time ago.  Invention is a good thing. Give freezer a chance.  Might work.

Suggested names; The Salad, C.P.M.B. (Sounds Canadian, eh?). Ye Olde Favorite.

No comments: