Wednesday, December 25, 2019

THIS IS WHAT I DID YESTERDAY

The network news reported on tipping.  Postal workers not allowed to accept money.  ??? Hey!  I have never....better get busy.

Post Mistress:

A couple days ago, one of the network news program was talking about Christmas tipping.  They said that post office workers were not allowed to accept money.  Ah hah!  I have clearly been remiss and decided to assemble some of my favorite things.  Do not return ANY of them, please.

So books:  I have always loved Jude Devereaux. She moved to Fort Lauderdale a few years ago.  There is a web cam on a local hotel.  I can watch the bridge raise and lower the 17th street bridge.  Some truly huge yachts are parked there. Occasionally I spot a commercial ship that specializes in shipping barges hither and yon, the Med to here. Jeez.

The next couple of books are two Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz.  These are not his scare you out of your shoes books. Odd Thomas is endearing. 

Perfume.  I have a small collection of perfume bottles.  I have filled the bottle with Lilac.  I cannot use it because husband complains.  Urk.

Food:  I made stuffing. I always challenge my husband to guess the secret ingredient.  This time it was almonds.  I have discovered that cashews get all soggy, ugh.  

The chicken is a version of Chicken Parm.  I use two chicken breasts sliced into small collops.  I covered it with buttermilk, then layer of Italian Bread crumbs.  It tasted slightly odd to me, later I realized that I had forgotten a cup or so of mayo.  It tastes okay but I do like it baked with the mayo. Bake 25 minutes at 350.  Turn off the oven, pour on frozen peas.  They thaw perfectly by the time you are ready to serve.  Not soggy!! 

     The salad is a concoction of pineapple tidbits, small marshmallows, shredded cheddar cheese and two sliced bananas.  It mixes well.  We have had this recipe since I was a teenager.

     One summer Dad took summer vacation from Idaho Power and we headed to Arizona to visit with family friends who were living in the Mogolon rim country, it pronounced moo gee on strangely enough.  We had an adventurous summer. I begged dad for money and bought up every scifi book they had in the small grocery nearby.  My brother decided that he would take an ax to a can of black spray paint.  He spray painted his glasses black and received a case of accidental blackface.  The friends wife prepared some food for our return journey to Idaho.  She also fried up some luscious chicken.

If you are so inclined, please be welcome to read my blog.  I yak about many things. Fish around, when I lived in Barrow, I kept a diary thing I called (Well crap I just realized I forgot to include my URL. Will add by hand duh).

I was recruited to work in the hospital in Barrow, Alaska. I wrote "The Bush Diary".  Once I moved to Coquille I decided that I would transcribe most of all nine years.

I have documented funny stuff, tragic stuff etc.  Christmas is special up there,   The native population shares muktuk, Tex/Mex version.  I have also eaten boiled whale intestine, it tastes faintly fishy and surprisingly crunchy like a radish. 

     
A tragedy comes to mind, it was during one of the spring whaling a 40 ton whale was struck and towed to the beach.  Everyone in town went to haul it in.  An O ring broke and whipped into the crowd. Several people were struck, four people died. One of them was Daphne Perez, wife to one of the local doctors.  They were so in love, truly incandescent. I can still see Daphne's brilliant smile.  The Inupiat don't use living relatives or friends names for their children. One of the girls in the medical record department where I worked, named her little girl included Daphne about third or four first names.
     
Speaking of names, there some unusual names. Many first names of Captain as it is the ambition of many to be captain of a whaling crew.

Other odd things have been: a guy known as the canary bird killer appeared to work.  All of which was discovered later.  Another odd one was this odd kid hitching up Dalton Highway.  When ever he saw a truck coming he would fall down pretending to have a seizure.
    
I am also on Facebook.  Friend me if you like. I get all smart-alecky from time to time.  Last comment was "Trussia, you needs Marie Condo. She will help you fold your sock, your undies and your tent."


Merry, merry! Speaking of merry. Did you know that a couple of Coquille residents are Wiccan?  Yep couple guys I know. What little I know comes from a book entitled "Dies The Fire" by S.M. Stirling.

The plot is roughly thus;  a mysterious event occurs March 1998.  Mike Havel is flying a charter out of Boise with the Hansons on board.   Suddenly everything electrical stops working.  He must crash land in near dark.
     
Junie McKenzie is gigging at The Hopping Toad when a large jet crashed in downtown Corvallis.  She is the High Priestess of the Triple Moon coven.      

Norman Arminger is a professor and author in Portland who quickly negotiate with local gangbangers to take over. He and they are major bad guys. 
    
The story is all about survival how people figure out work arounds for missing tech.  There is also starvation. Millions of people die.  This a  terrific book.

Thank you for your service.
Sincerely, Royce I Alden    

No comments: