Tuesday, December 3, 2019

CATALOGS!!!

It's catalog season.  From Harry and David.  The last time I blithely ordered goods from them the prices were in the 50 to 100 dollar range.  Spendy but worth every delicious bite.

When we lived in Barrow, the onslaught of catalogs began in January and arrived steadily from thence forward.  The most important one was the barge order  catalog.  

The goods were all shipped from Seattle and it took several months for the barge to arrive sometime in August.  I shared an order with Judy Coltrin the first year and got mostly canned goods.  The next year when I was feeling a bit braver.,.. I discovered that one should NOT order cereal of any kind.  BECAUSE what ever critter was living inside the box would hatch and fly up into your face upon opening the box.  OK, I will buy my cereal at Stuakpaq from now on.

To get back to the most recent Harry and David their most expensive deluxe package costs an eye watering 500 bucks!!!  It does include meat, cheese, fruit, nuts, cookies, jam, jelly, candies, with your choice of cabernet and pinot noir. Pretty sure it is Oregon wine.   Phew!  No caviar or truffles, but maybe they will get to that at some point.  They sell the ham, turkey and steaks separately.

One of my favorite catalogs is Gumps.  This establishment is located in San Francisco and my most favorite item was a nativity scene made of Limoges images of each figure at about $150 each.  Each figure was made to open.  Last time I checked they were going for about $300 each.  It comes with Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus, camels, sheep, donkey, the three Wise Men and as many angels at you may wish. It was exquisite.  I should probably Google whether they are still in business and if they have added a manger, a stable and a Star of Bethlehem.  

Remember this was well before the internet and Cyber Monday, which I resisted this year. 

Happy shopping be careful out there.

No comments: