Thursday, December 19, 2019

SURPRISE!!!

Yesterday was a painful day of disappointment.  I was determined to find out how to use Alexa to read my books to me.  I went to KaSa app and after a very lengthy loading process, arguments with Alexa about supported devices (never could find them).  Floundered around fruitlessly for advice regarding any or all of the above. Nuthin'.

I was laying in bed last night and finally yelled at Alexa, "Read me a book!"  Sun of behotch, she opened a book in my library and began chirping along.  I can tell her talk faster or slower.  I actually had read that in the 1001 hints but misread the direction  Advanced duhhh.

Well!  I asked her to read "Tau Ceti"  She couldn't find it. Frickety, frackity, fork!!!  I tried over and over pronouncing the title as many ways. as possible. That title did not work and spelling it does not work.

While Alexa is a fabulous improvement over the Kindle voice, here a few things I have notices. Alexa pronounces the period at the end of a sentence as "tilde" but only seldom.  Some, not all, same spelled words are used wrong.  She has a tough time with Latin marinaris is pronounced "marinus". Another thing that bothers me is the lack of pacing, everything is read at the same interval, Same pause between sentences that just sounds odd.  Lastly there is no inflection changes to indicate various emotional states.  
\
If you need to get to sleep, turn on Alexa and she will read you right to sleep. Lights out!!

And generally speaking one must use very clear diction or she will  tell you that she does not understand right now, please try again later. I shall experiment with West Virginian "Lexa, can y'all play a book?" or "Lexa play more ike at"  Um hmm. 

No comments: