Monday, December 16, 2019

Anniversary



It has been 69 years since Julie Andrews sang The Hills Are Alive.
Guess how old she was then?  30!  Well cast as a very young novitiate/governess.

The picture above is a picture of Maria Von Trapp.  She was a gorgeous young thing! 

I have no idea if the young Maria was indeed a novitiate, but here are a few things the film got wrong or portrayed for more drama.  

The national anthem is not Edilweiss.  The song was written specifically for the movie.  You can Google the anthem it sounds very hymnal, very beautiful sounding.

The family emigrated not by way of sneaking off in the dark of night to hike over the Swiss Alps.  They took the train.

While Austria no longer has a navy, Mr. Von Trapp was captain of a WWI submarine. 

When the film was released in Germany, the ending was either omitted or shot differently.  Hmmmm.

I actually saw the film in 1965 somewhere in Marin county.  I wen with my first roomie, Sue.  I enjoyed the film immensely.  She also dragged me to see "Mary Poppins"  While juvenile, I did enjoy that film as well. 

Julie Andrew started early the 1957 production as playing the lead in "Hello Dolly".  Hear! Hear!


No comments: