Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Chilly Morning


We have been having a week or better of low temps at night which leads to very cool mornings.

I have been accustomed to going on line and I like to check out the webcam for Fort Lauderdale.  It is fun to watch the freighters come and go as well as the big old cruise ships. 

 You can also listen into the chatter between captains and the harbor master lining up for bridge openings at the 17th street causeway.  Ever since I began watching there has been an undeveloped parcel of land next to the north end of the bridge.  Nothing was there.  

On the waters edge was of course a pier where very, VERY large yachts park, for very long stretches of time. I began watching the webcam because one of my favorite authors moved there and I liked to read her blog as well as enjoy the weather vicariously.  I have been lurking at the webcam for about four or five years.  

As I watched, I noticed ALL OF A SUDDEN that that patch of land was being sort of developed. First thing that went up was a very large four or five story structure with interior walls of glass like substance which were covered in a tent like structure.

Then full grown palm trees appeared around the building.  Then more tent like pavilion structures until I think I can count 17 or 18 of them.  And more palm trees.  Eventually there was a drive way lined by palm trees.  There has also been scads of big trailer trucks delivering supplies.  There are all sorts of fork lifts carrying supplies hither and yon.  I LOVE work, I could watch it all day!

After a while I became curious enough to make enquiry about what was going on  Nothing through the Chamber of Commerce.  I finally Googled Fort Lauderdale 17th street Park project and I think maybe I found something below.  Only thing is I really hate to see a state of art parking structure go up in that land.  So I may be mistaken.

Join the City of Fort Lauderdale on Saturday, March 25 at 10:00 a.m. at Las Olas Marina for a groundbreaking ceremony to officially launch the Las Olas Beach Park Project, a $49 million initiative that will bring two new waterfront parks to Fort Lauderdale Beach, along with more green space, open and inviting gathering places, a tree-lined promenade, landscape and streetscape enhancements, pedestrian connections, and a state-of-the art parking facility.

1 comment:

Retro Blog said...

Wow! There must be 300 cars and some trucks parked there this morning!