Thursday, October 17, 2019

Ooh lookit what I have stuffed in the attic! uh...somewhere...


Auntie Gale blogged the other day that she was looking for collector ornaments on the Hallmark website.  

I thought to myself, I should take look and check out their angels.  There was a very nice one that would look good in my collection, however, to my shame I have not decorated a tree since the winter of 2005 when I was working.  

Previous to that, while living in Barrow about 1991, I decorated a non tree thing with angels on a string because if I remember correctly trees were a hundred bucks and I didn't have room anyway.

That year in Dillingham, I purchased a small prewired tree from the local AC store.  

I decorated it one day when there was an ice storm and I was stuck in the driveway.  Janice Snow my next door neighbor had actually gotten out of the driveway and promptly slid over into the ditch.  There were at least 20 cars stalled or slid off the road within several hundred yards of the house.

One lady had managed to slither her car into our parking yard.  It looked like it would be a while so I waved her in to wait for melting or rescue.

Janice was finally able to get help sliding out of her car and back across the road. She came in to wait as well.

Well, while I had a captive audience I decided to decorate my tree and make fruit cake.  My helpers helped cut fruit and nuts.  I baked several small cakes for gifts at work.  People were sick of fruit cake after a week of that.

The tree turned out pretty. I had packed my favorite small Hallmark ornaments and once again after a period time, it looked like a mass hanging.   So strange.

It warmed up enough for cars to get moving; Janice went to work, the other lady left as well.  A few days before the 21st I received a Happy Solstice card from her.  I thought about it a bit and decided that I had met a real life witch!!  Merry met, Merry part! Merry Meet Again!

I still have that same tree but it is in the attic.  The thing with decorating for Christmas is the cats.  Multiple cats can and will inhabit the tree and knock stuff off and break things.  We are down to one cat now and he still flies around room at all altitudes trying his damndest GO TO THE OTHER PLACE!

So the ornaments have stayed stowed away.  However I Googled "older Hallmark ornaments" and found a site that wanted to sell me five angels I already own for 900 bucks.  Another site showed  about 15 or so of others in the collection with a bidding price of 300 bucks.  I think I own many of them, in original boxes.   Well finally something made of plastic had some collector value.  Huh.

So people who ever winds up with my angels, love them or sell them but do give them a little exposure to a Christmas Tree. Thanks!






No comments: