Saturday, September 13, 2008

Just a shadow picture



Snapped this picture this morning. I watched OVTV today and they had a program about various people discussing what is art and what is not art. I would like to think that this picture of shadows of the Pink Ladies growing by my front door would constitute art if I enlarged the photo, framed it appropriately, hung it in a gallery and charged many dollars to purchase it.

However the arguments ranged far and wide. One artist takes found objects, writes a story about them and displays them in iconographic, reliquary type items. Very interesting, you can stroll up to a very elaborate display and suddenly perceive that the miniature white South West New Mexico church steeple contains a large bottle of hair product.

Then the critics would wade in and sneer about how this is not art. There were several examples given and several more sneers. Very entertaining.

I always thought art was in the eye of the beholder. I don't like tapestries of dogs playing poker, but some people just love it. Oh, I guess personal taste would factor in there somehow.

So what is your favorite art piece? The Mona Lisa? Jackson Pollack? Gimme a jingle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first painting I recall seeing was Andrew Wyeth's "Christina's World". That was in San Francisco when you took us to the museum. I LOVED it and have since that time been very fond of the Wyeth family, even Jane. :)
But my favorite to see in person was "The Night Watch" by Rembrant. I sat there for hours trying to take it all in, it's quite awesome. Here's a link.

http://www.rembrandtpainting.net/rembrandt's_night_watch.htm

Anonymous said...

I remember that visit fondly. My favorite Wyeth (don't remember which) was a huge canvas with a very close up view of a shallow boddy of water, you could see the sand ripples under the water, it was greenish water,it was mesmerising, I have looked for a print but haven't found one, I am not even sure if it was a Wyeth. We should probably also discuss what we absolutely HATE as far as "art" is concerned. R

Gale said...

I think a harley is art. I learned that it is a blank canvas of which you can make it what you will. I also think that a living being can be art, I like watching dog shows and the movement of a beautifully bred dog is art. So art can be found anywhere it is only how you view it.

Jennifer said...

I don't have any particular favorite piece of artwork, I know I love Frida and I love Dali :)