Friday, September 22, 2017

day dreaming about a book I wished I had written

Had great idea last night.  I lay awake thinking about it until about 4 this morning.  Suppose you found yourself captive in Afghanistan by hostiles and somehow, with a friendly translator,  bargained yourself into telling stories nightly Scheherazade style.  Only the story you chose to relate was to tell a favorite book of yours for instance Dies The Fire by S.M. Stirling. 

I lay there thinking how would narrate the book as a series of short stories. I wondered how to pronounce Hakke palle, which is the Finnish war cry. that means, Kill them all!!! er roughly.  I figured the topic would be very appealing to the Taliban. Mike Havel tells young Eric some of the Finnish saga's sung in the equivalent of sweat lodges that are extremely funny. Pretty sure Taliban appreciates tales about flashy knives.

I have already thought of a couple reasons why this might not work. Do or should I get author's permission to quote extensively, would I commit plagiarism somehow?  I dunno. 

I know of one author who has written a series called "American Hostages"  All about women CIA analysts, CIA agents and a very specially skilled CIA assassin who are stationed in Afghanistan when it gets overrun and they are carted off individually to their fates. 

The third book hasn't been written yet but I sure would like to see the CIA assassin try achieving peace amongst her captors with stories from her favorite book.  A movie would be good.  For that I would have to win about five lotteries in a row.  Sigh.

No comments: