Friday, October 22, 2010

Ground breaking ceremony for the new hospital


Was today, above is an artist rendering of the south facing main entrance.  The current hospital us uphill and the current clinic is downhill.   In the back will be a helicopter pad and entrance to ER and underground parking.  They set up a couple of big tents on the lawn today and had speeches and golden shovels and photo ops. 




I also decided to try my hand at vegetarian Shepherds pie.  I assembled the carrots, onion, celery, lentils and chicken stock (oops there goes the vegetarian part).  I cooked the lentils in stock, chopped the veg and set aside.  I boiled 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes and mashed them and added shredded cheddar and sour cream.  I baked a spaghetti squash in the oven until fork tender.

I dug out four glass pie plates because I keep using more and more pots and pans as the dish got bigger and bigger! 

I layered in the lentil mix on the bottom, next the cooked squash and then topped with creamy mashed potatoes.  Baked it at 400 for 20 minutes and then at 350 for 40 minutes. 

Taste test from husband "yummy!"  Hunger will do that to you.

One pie is in the fridge and the other three are wrapped and in the freezer.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your shepherd's pie sounds very nice, but I do not understand why you have spaghetti and potatoes together? I know that a Suebian specialty exists where potatoes and a kind of noodle come together, but please do not ask me about this now, I do not know.
I think the carrots give it a bit of a sweet touch.
It's a long time since I made a soup from lentils (Linsen); my father used to ad a spoonful of vinegar to his plate. But you are right, it gets cold and dark around here, time to start the soups.

Anonymous said...

Ooh I like the vinegar, I may try it, I find lentils to be a bit on the tasteless side, needs lots of flavor and yes the carrots were nice. Um the spaghetti is just squash, not pasta. It is called thus because when it is cooked the strands fall apart like the pasta and it is a bit on the sweet side also. Nummers!!

Anonymous said...

Um, in the midwest of America is not all that uncommon to be able to order pasta and chili together, ugh! R

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I did not read exactly. This fruit is unknown to me. Live and learn - live and eat!