Tuesday, March 17, 2009

WARNING! BOOK REPORT! The illiterati may wish to skip this one.



"Kidnapped" etc etc by Nicola Cornick. The author explained that she enjoyed Robert Lewis Stevenson's book of the same title, so she decided that her theme would be that of Scotland, a kidnapping, adventures pertaining to and the format somewhat complimentary to Mr. Stevenson.

Chapter One: In which I meet the hero, as all good heroines should.
Chapter Two: In which I hear of my long-lost family.
Chapter Three: In which I set out upon my journey to the house of Glen Clair, and Mr. Sinclair behaves as no gentleman should.
Chapter Four: In which I meet with strange travellers on the road and see Mr. Sinclair again sooner than I expected.
Chapter Five: In which I meet my family and receive a less than warm welcome from my uncle.
Chapter Six: In which a great many visitors come to the Old House at Glen Clair.
Chapter Seven: In which I give Mr. Sinclair a piece of my mind.
Chapter Eight: In which I should have been more suspicious and more careful than I was.
Chapter Nine: In which I am kidnapped.
Chapter Ten: In which I meet Captain Hoseason and hatch a plan for escape.
Chapter Eleven: In which we are shipwrecked.
Chapter Twelve: In which my heart is broken.
Chapter Thirteen: In which I attempt to fall out of love and fail miserably.
Chapter Fourteen: In which my stubbornness and pride prompt me to make a bad decision.
Chapter Fifteen: In which Neil and I are married despite the opposition of his family.
Chapter Sixteen: In which I run away and Neil runs after me.
Chapter Seventeen: In which I feel monstrously neglected by my husband.
Chapter Eighteen: In which Lady Strathconan shows her true colors and Neil makes an unexpected entrance.
Chapter Nineteen: In which love conquers all.

Your basic Boy meets Girl, Girl meets Evil Uncle. Boy is not really a rake hell bent on seducing Girl (oh wait that comes later). Evil Uncle kidnaps girl AND boy, puts them on a ship with orders to the captain to drown Boy, sell Girl after suitable degradations have occurred. It gets very very foggy along the Scottish coast. Crewmen break into grog supplies and get blind drunk. Boy and Girl break out of ships hold. Storm brews up, the tiny ship is tossed onto some breakers, all hands lost except BOY and GIRL. Survivor Scottish Islands. Boy and Girl scrounge up bits of ship wrecked stores and live there a couple of months playing chess and um NOT giving into baser urges. Ship of the Line rescues them. Boy introduces Girl to Military as his fiance. Girl is surprised. They marry against wishes of the Boy's family. Family schemes to get rid of Girl when Boy has to report to duty. Much mail to each other is destroyed by family. Boy shows up in Girls room and she takes a knife to him. Oops Girl discovers Boy is not her appointed debauchee. Boy takes on his family, keeps girl, tells family to mind their own bidness. Nice.

No comments: