Friday, January 23, 2009

SHOP LOCAL, KEEP IT GREEN and DRESS PROFESSIONALLY FOR LESS

There is a nifty little shop down town called "Bree's Upscale Resale". They display nice looking previously owned gently used clothing. Sales from the place support Breast Cancer Research (Pink Ribbon). I went shopping today to help boost the local economy,give recycling my business, support breast cancer research and get the Hell out of the house for some fresh air.




These are a pair of brown leather silk lined gloves. When I tugged them gently onto my admittedly stubby digits, they made my hands look elegant. Years ago I watched Eubie Blake play the piano on the Mike Douglas show. Here was this little old dessicated black man sitting at the piano with his stringy clawed fingers poised over the keys. Then he began to play, those black stringy fingers turned into liquid gold, so supple and the ragtime tune was lovely. Those brown gloves turn my hands into Eubie Blakes fingers when he played the piano. Cost? Five dollars.



Paisley lined skirt,fits perfectly, ankle length. There is a side slit to the knee. I will either have to purchase hose or spray paint my leg. Price, six dollars.



Brown fake suede-like jacket. On sale for THREE dollars.



Dug way...WAY back in my closet, dragged out this goldish blouse, the sleeves needed to be shortened and I did that using fabric iron on hemming tape as needles would show EVERY little pin prick. I sewed the buttons on securely. Price? I don't remember it has hung in my closet for several years so the original price has been prorated to negligible proportions. And the necklace draped casually about the neck of the hangar is one made by Susan Howell of Roseburg, ten dollars.

I have an entire ensemble for twenty four dollars. The original outfit sold at Macy's would have gone for minimum one hundred dollars. All righty then, Let's hear it for the Depression saying "Make do, use it up, wear it out".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very resourse full. I have heard and read stories that second hand stores around the country are doing booming business. I guess it is a testiment to the fact that people can be frugal if needed.

You will look ma-vo-lus!!

EJ

Gale said...

And where are you going in your finery? I love to buy used. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Here's a tradition that I want to be part of....for Chinese New Year you are supposed to burn all of your old clothes and get new ones. Oh and not go into debt....so the second use is perfect. Nice choices, let's see some pics.

Anonymous said...

Er I have one other outfid purchased at Bree's. It is a two piece and I will shoot picure next. Thanks! R

PS; Yep the get out of debt thing; I am contemplating taking a loan on m 401k to pay off the credit cards; one of which just jumped from 5% to 20%. Bastids.

Anonymous said...

An one more thing, I am wearing my new to me out fit to Bandon today, Tim has a meeting and I have shopping on Old town. Woo hoo!! R