Thursday, January 1, 2009

January 1, 2009 activities

I was awakened promptly after midnight by all of the fireworks being set off all over town. Small crackly ones and several very large booming ones. 2009 was seen in appropriately. Slept in until 7:30 am.



About 9 am we decided to run away and see if anything was open for breakfast. Nothing was open in Coquille, so we headed for Bandon and Lo and Behold The Station was open and the parking lot was jammed! Well.

We went in and husband ordered the chicken fried steak, eggs over hard, hash browns and very hearty rye toast. Yummy!



I ordered the sirloin (medium pink please), hash browns, scrambled eggs and sour dough toast. Again, yummy! We thanked them for being open on New Years Day. A couple waitresses responded that it was an all volunteer effort today.

Right next door was a gift shop and we went in and all the Holiday stuff was 50% off so I purchased a few items. We then drove around Bandon a little bit and headed home. The water is very high going by Highway 42 South.




I had been thinking about making noodles so I got out my super duper sized cutting board and dumped flour, made a hole, dropped in two eggs, a touch of salt and mixed dough. I rolled the dough until very thin and sliced it. When we were kids we used to think that noodles came from the bed room because that was where Mom would spread them out on the bed covered with waxed paper to dry.



I let them dry just a very few minutes while the stock pot was heating up with some turkey stock frozen from Thanksgiving bird.




I let the stock come to a rolling boil and delicately dropped each tender noodle into the broth. I let them cook for about 8 minutes. They are now cooling. Yummy Turkey Noodle soup.

4 comments:

FirstNations said...

Woooooo. I am impressed! after many hit or miss noodle episodes I have finally located and secured unto myself a NOODLEMAKING MACHINE CRANKER THINGIE with which to make noodles, and i will do so. yup.

I covet your breakfast.

FirstNations said...

and the latin name of robins is 'TURDUS MIGRATORIOUS'.

no kidding.

Retro Blog said...

I was raised on hit or miss noodle episodes. I tend to mess up mechanical kitchen equipment so it is best that I, like Alton Brown, eschew unitaskers. Rolling pins have many uses other than flattening noodles (evil grin)

Thanks for the latin translation.

Anonymous said...

mmmm, noodles look nummers.