Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cooking Steak



Actually the steaks I purchased at the local market were much prettier than those pictured above,nice and marbled, good color.

So tonight dinner consisted of baked potatoes, three bean salad, garlic bread and steak.

I baked the potatoes oiled and salted, wrapped in aluminium foil for 60 minutes in a 350 degree oven. They were not done at 60 minutes, so I let them continue to bake while I washed up some dishes and pre-heated two frying pans; one at medium for the well done steak and one heated to medium/high for the medium rare steak. I cooked the meat 12 minutes and 6 minutes each, turning at the half way mark for seasoning with salt and pepper. The steaks were cooked perfectly, his was done,mine was pink.

I was pleased that I attained a lovely grilled look however the fat bloomed and made the steak all deformed and cutting that off was quite beyond my poor under powered steak knife. I guess I should have trimmed the fat off before I cook the meat, but how do you cut out the gristly bits?

I would like to somehow have lessons on how to select the perfect meat from the meat department. I realize I will not be able to purchase restaurant grade beef but criminy I hate to pair that lovely baked potato with the cow that would not die properly. Where is Alton Brown when you need him!?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I asked the google lords about beef and they gave me this link.

http://www.outdoor-cooking.com/beef-cut.html

Good luck, all I know is I never get a top sirloin. In my experience, it's usually pretty tough.

Anonymous said...

Nice link! Very helpful! Next time the meat looks good, I will check the cut, I bet I purchased top sirloin thinking it was the bomb...... R

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

You might check out QVC.com. They promote the Kansas City Beef Co. Everything we ever got from them was wonderful. Usually 2 day shipping with dry ice, by UPS, so delivery is good also. The prices are not bad for the cut and grade of meats, but then, nothing is inexpensive anymore.
CB