Tuesday, July 1, 2008

BBC'S Top Gear




This is Jeremy, a very famous man in England. He is one of the three genial hosts of Top Gear seen on BBC America about 6 pm or so Oregon Time. First time I saw it, I thought, "Oh God, Car talk on Telly with British accents". Not so.

These three guys do various challenges, host a show with guests after making them drive a lap in a "high performance" car and post the lap times, sort of a car pissing contest. And it is all highly amusing.

For instance; a recent show consisted of the challenge of each of the hosts purchasing an automobile built in Great Britain in the 70's and testing them.
They had to purchase them for about 1000 pounds and meet at a certain point for the next part of the test. I won't describe the cars because I never heard of any of them Philistine that I am.

Test two consisted of them trying to locate where exactly these automobiles were manufactured in England. No luck there most of the plants have been sold and torn down.

Test three consisted of various driving tests; the best one was fill the car completely full of water, fit driver with snorkel and give a certain amount of money for the distance completed by each car. The large yellow car's rear door blew out and lost all the water.

Test four? Lost count...drive down a very bumpy test road at 40 mph, lose ten pounds for everything that fell off. Lots fell off.
I found all of the hosts charming and this was a very entertaining show. I am glad there is a web site so I can go watch older shows.

Er one caution however, the untutored American ear must listen very carefully, so much throw away humor and unrelenting humerous asides.

1 comment:

Gale said...

For a while my favorite shows were all on the BBC channel, I don't get it now. You did get me hooked on the designer show.