Sunday, July 6, 2008

THOUSAND MILE STEW



This is one dish that Dad named. I have never been quite sure where the name came from, Mom wasn't much for naming dishes. Her version consisted of sliced left over quite well beyond done pot roast,potatoes and onions. The beef came from a yearling calf purchased by Dad and stored in the local locker in town. The beef was cut into mostly hamburger, a few roasts, a few T-bones and that was pretty much it, well except for one time I came home to see a vast gray pebbled organ lying on a plate. I asked what it was and was informed it was beef tongue. Greachghhhhhhhhhhhhh! However, once said tongue had been boiled to death and peeled and ground up with dill pickles and onions and mixed with mayo it make a surprisingly tasty sandwich spread. But I digress..

Yesterday I purchased four strip streaks and marinated them in Soyvay (Teriyaki soy mixture very good! and lots of garlic!). I cooked two for lunch. Later on I was inspired to try my version of Thousand Mile Stew. I had purchased a bag of mini-Yukon gold potatoes and I decided to let them simmer in the left over beef juice in a frying pan on low. The juice thickened to a lovely dark brown effect and I gently crushed the potatoes allowing them to crack open slightly (A La Jacque Pepin) and to absorb the juice. To this I added a can of chicken broth and allowed further reduction. At the last 15 minutes or so I chopped an onion and dropped that in and let the simmering continuing. The potatoes were lovely and golden dripping in nicely thickened juice, slices of beef had tenderized and the onions had absorbed the faintly Teriyaki flavor of the juice and had turned a lovely deep brown purplish hue. Come and get it! Husband ate some and asked if this was a save for tomorrow dish or polish off dish. I said it was "polish off dish" So he polished. I didn't even get a picture. Oh well,

4 comments:

yoo hoo said...

...hey, we were just talking about child abuse foods.

Gale said...

Looks far prettier than the child abuse food I remember. Hated that stuff.

Anonymous said...

Well yeah the original was pretty colorless and tough but remember we were kids, we didn't know any better and we were usually hungry. Had to eat that to get dessert. R

Uncle Spud & Aunt JoJo said...

I thought just getting away from the table with all my limbs was dessert.