Thursday, October 1, 2020

FRUIT CAKE AND HOW I CAME TO LOVE IT

FRUIT CAKE: When I was a child, none of my extensive family ever made a fruitcake for Christmas. The first time I ever ate a piece of fruitcake it was grey, soggy, crumbling and the taste was overpowering with dates. Which I do not like. Many years later, in the 1970's, I ate a piece of fruitcake that was totally different. The recipe was from Letha Fashauer, first husbands great aunt. I begged for the recipe and it is as follows: Two cups sugar or Splenda Eight eggs, I like to use Jumbo. Two cups flour. Four teaspoons Vanilla. (I am going to add 1/2 tsp of salt.) Fruit is floured dates. Cup of raisens. Couple cups of walnuts. Red candied cherries Green candied cherries Candied pineapple. Mix well, use large bread pans. Bake one hour at 350 F. When cool, poke holes to absorb your favorite brandy. This year I decided to expeiment (Mom throws up hands in despair). I had purchased in interesting fruit nut mix of cranaberry raisens, cashews and almonds. I also had some dried mango. I had on hand almonds, macadamia nuts and walnuts. I wanted to make this very lemony, so I decided to use Lemon jello in liquid form and pour it over the cake. Then for the adult version, I planned on soaking the cake in Limoncello. Who knew Amazon would mail liquor to me? It tastes okay but okay is NOT good enough. It tastes flat and I intend to add the half teaspoon of salt. I shall leave out all nuts except walnut, I shall add dried pineapple, leave out the dried mango and I will stir the package of lemon jello into the batter. This will eliminate the layer of jello from the outside of the cake, which was just silly. I also have a bag of pitted Bing cherries, I may add them just for texture. I attempt this this weekend. I may purchase Kirsvasse from the liquor store. This might be sensational. Do not consume near open flame unless you truely wish to experience tongue flambe.

No comments: