Saturday, October 3, 2020

I forgot to add this to the fruit cake sage

I had intended to include this in the fruitcake saga. When I worked in Dillingham, I discovered that holidays are a big deal. Christmas especially. The local religion is Russia Orthodox and one of the things that happens right after Christmas is a forty day fast. In the old days when food sources were not so plentiful, fasting helped the food stretch out during the winter. We had a choir come into the department to sing Carols, more like Russian Orthodox favorites. The priest came in dressed in his black cassock and black hat shaped like a brimless top hat. He carried the Russian Orthodox cross which is a regular cross with an additional slanted cross bar. One of the customs at work was that we drew names and were expected give a gift each day of the week. I decided to make Fruit Cake for the lady whose name I drew. I did not realize that the gifts were supposed to be different. I am pretty sure she was a bit disgusted by Friday. To divert for a moment, Janice Snow was in the habit of adding "ster" to anyones name, which she uttered in high good humor. For instance, Tim was Timster. Bob was Bobster. I was unfortunately called, "Roycester". sigh.. One day I received a gift from Karen. It was a can of smoked oysters. I was thrilled, I was gushing about how much I liked smoked oysters. Karen interrupted to say, "No, Look at the label!" She had used a marker to add R to the word oyster. Thus Royster. I nearly wet my pants.

No comments: