Thursday, September 3, 2020

TAXONOMY

 Taxonomy the science of names.  I have been witness to many names having filled out hundreds of birth certificates over the length of my career in medical records. Some were more memorable than others.  One from Barrow is one I will never forget.  One mom gave her little boy four first names; Ryan Bryan Corey Craig.  I wonder which one he responds to? It was also common to give a boy the first name of "Captain" as that is a major aspiration to become captain of a whaling crew.

When I worked at Fairchild Semiconductor in the mid 1960's a lot of black girls worked there.  One young woman, absolutely gorgeous. Had a little girl.  I asked her what she had named her, she replied that she had named her "Kokwinda".  It was the new fashion to eschew slave names.  I had never heard of such a name and I am sure I looked shocked.  

It has been sixty years now and at least three generations of children no longer have slave names.  Sometimes it is difficult for me to tell what sex the names belong.  Shaquille certainly sounds manly.  All sorts of combinations come together in three syllable names.  Some are very creative and quite pretty.  

However, the extremely rich and famous kind of go for odd names.  For instance Elon Musk recently named his baby boy X A(backwards letter) E A-12. This is pronounced X ash A-12.  Hmm, I suppose the nickname might be Ash.  Ash Musk. Hmm mebbe not.

The child can modify that once he has reached legal age.  Or not.  He might name his children differently.  

I wonder what Musk would name a little girl?  Musk Melon pronounced MiMi? Charming!

I watched a black lady comedian a while back she was talking about kids names beginning with non slave names and said that she was in a mall and heard a mother call her child, "Escalade! Get over har!"  Well, could Cadillac be very far behind? Cars do have creative names.  "Chevy Mohammed, get home!"

What with the recent very unpleasant events in Wisconsin it is highly doubtful that any moms will be giving their babies the name of "Kenosha".  Which is native American and means place of the pike.  On the other hand, that name may be bestowed in honor of the suffering of that young man who is paralyzed from the neck down. 

I also foresee babies named Justice, Freedom, March and Liberty.

It will be very interesting to see if any of these names actually happen. 



No comments: