Friday, October 6, 2017

More stuff that rhymes but will never be matched up with a tune...ever...

I do not possess an advanced degree in English. However, I have come to appreciate some forms of poetry. I really like Haiku. There is something very satisfying about squeezing something beautiful regarding man and nature into three lines of 5 syllables, 7 syllables and again 5 syllables. My Haiku tends to be sarcastic and at times darkly humorous. Haven't written any in a very long time. Wait, I forgot that an Alaska friend posted a picture of her black cat, Elmyra, gazing fixedly outside to the leaves in the back yard. She challenged everyone to write a caption. 

Fall in Anchorage
sure does not last very long
crap I can smell snow.
Or something on that order. Meh...

I was idly channel surfing and caught the last five minutes of Oregon Art Beat. There was a short piece about the Total Eclipse of the Sun and the celebration that went on for those two days. It looked a bit like Burning Man met the Hippy movement and relocated to the path of the solar eclipse. I jotted down a few lines.
Brief digression regarding the first sentence in this thing. I did take regular English at BSU, the class was taught by a vastly superior English God? And we learned quickly not to ask questions about anything. Some poor soul asked about the verb To Be. I swear he lectured a solid 15 minutes reciting every paragraph from the dictionary. Not a peep out of anyone the rest of the semester. At one point I rather rashly turned in an assignment that included a poem that I had written. He pointed out that it was not a poem and merely a quatrain. Er...thanky. I think I got a B out of that class only because I followed the requirements for writing a research paper including footnotes and citing references religiously. The subject was “King Arthur's Court” and then did a comparison of Mark Twain and who ever wrote about King Arthur. Thus ends the circular metaphor (more of an interruption) regarding English et al.

To return to the twiddles I wrote on a scrap of paper last night whilst ignoring the telly.
90 th anniversary of US Total eclipse of the Sun.
Hippies, some poets, on lookers were looking
people with tailgates were set up for cooking.
Burning Man came for some celebrating others brought colorful barrels and crating.
There was free style prancing and proud native dancing.
There were parents and children out getting chilly. 
All the dogs kept barking, the cats were not silly.
There should be another verse about the traffic etc. The verses rhyme but the scansion sucks. This has potential to be sung as a folk song but Bob Dylan is busy.
I just finished banana pancakes and needs must take my nap a bit early...urp...

1 comment:

Retro Blog said...

Just dawned on me, could be sung to "Favorite Things" eeesh