Friday, March 2, 2012

VERY LATE MOVIE REVIEW



The picture posted above has absolutely NOTHING to do with the movie review. I had meant to load a picture of Eric Bana  (Gorgeous) who played the part of the bad guy on Star Trek (2009)

I do not have much luck watching entire productions from beginning to end.  My channel hopping precludes this.  I do not own a TIVO and I do not read program guides.  It is always potluck.

What a lucky find today for me.

Star Trek; opens with the very young James Tiberius Kirk driving a car like a maniac toward the edge of a cliff and leaping out at the last minute.  He looked to be about age 12.

Fast forward a few years to a rowdy bar, Kirk hits on Uhuru and a fight ensures.  Kirk remains basically in scar tissue through most of the movie.

Eventually all of the characters graduate from Star Trek Academy and all cadets are mustered for a massive emergency.

Enter our really evil but strangely attractive villain, Nero.  He is Romulan who sports an equally tragically attractive facial tattoo.
He has vowed to destroy Vulcan before the eyes of Spock because when Spock was about 120 years old he failed to stop a star from going super nova and destroying Romulus. 

Oh, I almost forgot, Uhuru has feelings for Spock and he agreeably enough has feelings for Uhuru. 

Lots of fighting, lots of action.  Whole thing resolved with Kirk taking over the Enterprise.  Spock and Kirk beam aboard Nero's ship. More shoot 'em up, very spectacular rescue ensues.

I LOVED this film.  Also while Kirk was played very ably by Chris Pine, the best portrayal was by Karl Urban who played Bones' every grimace, every curmudgeonly gesture to perfection.

ER um, my only gripe is that by movies end we still have two planets destroyed; Vulcan and Romulus.   I think we have violated the space time continuum thingy.  Where is a quantum mechanic to fix things when you want 'em? Huh?

PS:  Winona Ryder played the part of Spocks' mother.  I didn't know it until I saw the credits.   Good job!

2 comments:

Carla said...

I LOVED this movie...it was a nice surprise.

Retro Blog said...

Oh,wait. I think the answer is obvious, sometime between Star Trek youth and 120 years Kirk and Spock keep Romulus star from going SuperNova...I think.