Friday, July 30, 2010

MORE COOKING ADVENTURES FROM RETRO'S KITCHEN!!



The above picture is the fresh split pea soup I made this afternoon. Husband has been wishing for some, so we shopped the local farmer's market and dragged home onions, bunches of parsley and a two pound bag of split peas. Sure I could have purchase a can but....what's the fun of that? So I dimly remembered a Kosher recipe with which I took some liberties.

Chop and saute 1 largish white onion.
Add whole bunch of chopped parsley, about a cup or more.
Wilt in a dab of butter.
Add 8 ounces of chicken stock.
Cook until tender.
Throw in one pound of split peas.
Top with 1 quart of water.
Boil for 20 minutes, simmer for 40 minutes.
Don't forget salt, pepper, some red pepper flakes and some fresh grated nutmeg.

Yummy!


The above is a picture of the chicken pot pie also made earlier today.

Last week I baked a whole chicken on top of some sliced potatoes. After cooling I boned the chicken and sliced the potatoes. Husband allowed that he probably would not eat any more of it. How about I make a chicken pot pie? Um, yeah, he would eat that.

Approximately 4 pounds roasted and boned chicken and a couple of potatoes.
One medium sized bag frozen mixed veggies; green beans, lima beans, corn, etc.
One can mushroom soup.
One peel and stick pie crust.
Salt, pepper
350 oven, 1 hour.

Not bad.

No comments: