Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sunday School Lessons, sort of.....




On Thursday I was sitting at my desk as I usually do. The room is very crowded. To my left there is a rolling cart of various books, puzzles and games that are used for our Swing Bed patients. Swing bed means that they are not healthy enough to be discharged but need more intensive care than that provided by a long term care facility.

I noticed that there were two Holy Bibles in the racks. I opened one up and flipped it back and forth to check to see if anyone had hidden money inside. This is a practice handed down from traveling religious and it either tempts people with the deadly sin of greed or redemption by reading the Holy Word.

I glanced down to see what chapter was open and read that King David had worn a linen ephod. Linen ephod...what exactly is an ephod? Well, it is the little dress thingy printed above. King David had the Ark of God brought to Jerusalem and it was a big deal. All the tribes were appointed certain tasks; one tribe played the harp, one tried played the drums etc. There was much celebration and King David was noted to have danced with his whole heart in celebration and he wore a linen Ephod.

Hmmmm,sartorial commentary in the Bible would seem to be rare. However, the spot I googled explained that by stating that King David wore a linen ephod, it simply meant that he dressed like all the other guys making happy in the streets.

1 comment:

Gale said...

I can say I had sunday school today.