Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Price of Gas, Cautionary Tales and Latkes



As you can see, gasoline price has jumped up just so we do not contribute to the low average nation wide,is what I'm thinking maybe?



Careful how you chew, husband was eating the next to last piece of blackberry pie and chomped down on a length of cane baked into the pie...on no you DI ent.

Them berries did not come from my bushes and I am always careful to pick with the tips of my fingers. I freeze the berries on a cookie sheet and when frozen, I inspect and dispose of extraneous bits.



Tonight I made Latkes in honor of Hanukkah, which fell on 12-21-08 this year. How can I relate a personal story about The Festival of Lights and the Solstice? Surprisingly both stories happened in Alaska,separated by time and geography (It's a big state).

When I was working in Barrow, we once had a Locums doctor come who was also a Rabbi. He wore the fedora and had the locks in front of his ears. He was a very nice man and a good doctor, I'm sure his mother was twice as proud. We asked him how he computed sundown being in Barrow and the sun did not rise above the horizon. He told us that his mentors had informed him that he could figure sundown in Anchorage. One day I wished him a Happy Hanukkah! and quick as a whistle he turned around and asked, "What do you call eight days of great sex?" Um, I don't know tell me... "Hanukkah Lewinsky".

In December 2005 I was working in Dillingham, Alaska. There was a horrible ice storm and the roads were so slick that my next door neighbor left where we lived and promptly slid across the road into the ditch. I started to leave for work and I heard this voice screech, "Don't go in to work, it's too slick!" Okay, I stayed home and decided to make fruit cake and decorate my Christmas tree. Eventually my neighbor had help slipping and sliding back across the road and came into my apartment for part of the morning. We could look out the window and see how many cars slid of the road. One car crept slowly into the front of my house. I poked my head out and asked if the lady wanted to come in and she did. We sat there and cut up dates and candied cherries etc to make fruit cake. Eventually the roads were cleared and she left. Got a small present from her a few days later, it was a Christmas tree decoration with the note "Happy Solstice" written on it.

There, took a while but I got there.

Oh and the Latke recipe? Dead easy: shred 3 large Russet potatoes,(wring water out of potatoes) chop 1 half onion, mix 2 eggs with 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup biscuit mix. Mix well, fry in mix of oil and butter 3 to 4 minutes each side. Keep warm on a cookie sheet in a 250 degree oven until done frying up the batches of cakes.
Serve warm with applesauce, dab of sour cream. Happy Hanukkah!

No comments: