Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I filled up! and more cooking



I went shopping and decided to top off the tank, I pulled up, my jaw dropped, so had the prices....pretty soon they will be GIVING it away!



This is a rather murky picture of one of my prized possessions. It is a 1907 White House cook book. Grandma LaVann had one and I used a recipe from it to make custard using duck eggs. It was as smooth as silk, and rich and I HATE custard!
The duck eggs were a bonus, a great uncle just up the road had gifted the house with a dozen duck eggs. They didn't have Google then so I consulted the LaVann library.

I found this edition while shopping with my sister on a Seattle visit. She took me to one of the many Mom and Pop neighborhoods and we browsed a book store. I still have the receipt, I paid 25 bucks, plus tax for it! I was making North Slope money in those days.

I like to read some of the advice as well as the recipes for instance:

Facts Worth Knowing:

To Preserve Brooms: Dip them for a minute or two in a kettle of boiling suds once a week and they last much longer, making them tough and pliable. A carpet wears much longer swept with a broom cared for in this manner.

Cough syrup: Syrup of Squills four ounces, syrup of tolu four ounces; tincture of blood root one and one-half ounces, camphorated tincture of opium four ounces. Mix. Dose for an adult one teaspoon repeated every two to four hours or as often as necessary. (Holy MOLEY, must Google syrup of squills, syrup of tolu, and tincture of blood root)

and lastly

HOW TO KEEP WELL

Don't sleep in a draught.
Don't go to bed with cold feet.
Don't stand over hot air registers.
Don't eat what you do not need, just to save it.
Don't try to get too cool too quickly after exercising.
Don't sleep in a room without ventilation of some kind.
Don't stuff a cold lest you should next be obliged to starve a fever.
Don't sit in a damp or chilly room without a fire.
Don't try to get along without flannel underclothing in winter.

Much to ponder....

1 comment:

Gale said...

Flannel underwear...does Walmart sell this?