Thursday, October 23, 2008

RE-RUN TAMALE PIE

I had a request from the home front for tamale pie. So here goes. I clipped this recipe from the Anchorage news paper several years ago when I lived in Barrow. If the noon jet didn't get weathered out we would get the Sunday paper about 2 pm. That recipe called for breakfast steak and cheddar cheese. I have modified it a bit over the years, still tastes and smells wonderful.




First you roast the peppers in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes, cool, peel and chop.



Brown one diced onion in olive oil, add 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey, 1 whole frozen jalapeno pepper (freezing the pepper takes some of the heat away...really), add 1 can chopped tomato, add chopped roasted peppers, add one can of black olives, halved, add garlic, salt and pepper to taste.

Stir in a separate bowl one cup Ricotta, one cup corn meal, 3 cups water,one whole egg, blend well, pour into meat and veggie mixture, allow to simmer for a few minutes. Pour into glass baking dish. Bake in 350 oven for 45 minutes. .




Top with frozen onion rings, bake another 15 minutes. You may serve piping hot , however the flavors will blend together by the next day. My house smells wonderful

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

This looks super good, I think I would do it without the green peppers.