Saturday, October 18, 2008

GRUMPY RERUN BOOK REPORT



I think I might have reviewed this book previously, however, I just re-read the thing, liked it just as much as the first time, however, I must object to one thing;

The book jacket! Jacket designed by one Royce M. Becker. I wonder if that name is one of those industry names that appears occasionally when there have been legal disagreements and this is what gets printed to meet legal requirements for printed credit.

Shadow Music takes place somewhere in England between 1190 and 1217, during the life and reign of King John of Magna Carta fame. There were crusades going on, there were Barons, King John was at war with nearly EVERY one. This story is set mostly in Scotland.

My objection to the jacket is thus; look closely and you will see in the background a rather elaborate image of a castle with intricate towers and elaborate chimneys. There is a severe curly-cue cast iron gate (don't think the local black smith had time to hand forge such gates being busy making claymores, etc. ) and down in the right hand corner is a near silhouette of a couple, the man looks a bit like Fred Astaire and the lady could be a dead ringer for Ginger Rogers except they ain't dancing.

Now, I'm thinking it would be far more appropriate to see a sword or a lovely Scottish glen or a Highlander, not Fred and Ginger.

And then for some weird reason there is a crude hand lettered "4" right below "Garwood". I think who ever accepted real money for designing this jacket cover should cough up any and all dough for this inappropriate art work and apologize to the author and Ballantine books.

Could I have this job next time? I can jack better stuff off the net.

No comments: