Saturday, October 18, 2008

I GET TO VOTE FOR PRESIDENT TODAY



Because I live in Oregon and we ALL VOTE BY MAIL. Isn't that cool? No standing in line at the polling places, no getting my registration challenged etc. Yeah, I like it. I can also happily continue to ignore the evening phone calls from political pollsters. Wawhoody!



This is a shot of my ballot, not bad. It lists all the political candidates from President on down to Mayor of Coquille. On the back are fifteen, count 'em 15 measures to vote on. FIVE of them are amendments to the State of Oregon's Constitution. Ahem,this is where I drag out my soap box, mount it and opine the following:

1) The Constitution is NO PLACE to put such items for voter consideration as lottery money, redistricting plans, property tax elections,etc. Items such as these should be considered ELSEWHERE within the laws of the State of Oregon...NOT THE CONSTITUTION.

2) The Constitution at the state level should not be modified unless it follows the amendment protocol at the NATIONAL level. (And we all remember how easily the Women's Rights Amendment fared.)

I'm done. Don't forget to vote!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All three of us in our household got our mail in ballots. Rachel was busy reading the voters phamplet the other day. I think that is so awesome. It's good to be informed.

We don't have to vote by mail in Washington, we just choose to.

Anonymous said...

How nice! Anybody else out there get to mail in their vote, and I don't mean absentee ballots. Lemme know, okay? R

Jennifer said...

I got my ballot today to! Yippee!