Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Stand, Steven King



The Stand was on SciFi channel this weekend, all umpty chapters of it one right after another. Phew! The book has always rated high on my list of favorites, even the re-written edition. I watched the original mini-series on television in 1994 and enjoyed it very much.

However this time was a little different. Unfortunately I didn't begin at the beginning. I started watching about the time Harold and Franny were getting ready to go on the road, Stu had broken out of the germ hospital and folks who had survived were on their way to either Nebraska or Las Vegas.

I thought this version felt choppy and I swear there was a scene that I never saw before. Stu is working like crazy to take out someones appendix and has to be told to stop because the patient was dead. Also every time I blinked there was a shot of Steven King either very much in the foreground or the background. Generally speaking writers should not act and actors should not write...it's just safer that way.

Just for giggles and laughs I went to a "The Stand" site and clicked on "Goofs" which turn out to be continuity problems for the most part, someones leg is in one position in one shot and different in another.

For what it is worth, I thought Jamie Sheridan (Randall Flagg) made a terrific Son of Satan and I often wonder why it is that I am drawn to Randall Flagg's or Darth Vader's? Ewwwwwwwwww

What is your favorite book that has successfully translated into film?

2 comments:

yoo hoo said...

I can't think of a good one but the worst one was "clan of the cave bear".

So far the goodest one was Cold Mountain, pretty true to the book.

Gale said...

Green Mile