Friday, November 9, 2007

dirty dishes and King Henry VIII



Friday, chores await. Must wash dishes...erk. Made pancakes this morning, cup of Constant Comment tea and gulped down medications. I am re-reading for the umpteenth time "Blaze Wyndham" by Bertrice Small. Blaze Morgan is the oldest of 8 sisters and one youngest brother. A neighbor (12 miles away) Earl of Wyndham is a widower and has heard of the Morgan family's amazing fertility and health. He comes for a visit with an offer of marriage as he must have an heir. (1500 something England y'know). Marriage is agreed upon, Blaze is a little upset that she will meet her groom on the day of the wedding but a family with EIGHT daughters cannot be too choosy. Blaze and Edmund wed and he agrees to court her before consumation so that they my become better acquainted. Things go smoothly, the consumate and eventually a daughter is born (Nyssa Catherine Wyndham). Two years of bliss pass. Blaze becomes pregnant again and they are happy. Nephew Anthony visits (who has a secret tendre for Blaze) and he and Edmund go hunting. Edmund is killed in a freak accident. Blaze has hysterics and loses her baby and blames it all on Anthony. A few months later her young sister Bliss, talks Blaze into return to court with them. She reluctantly goes with them. King Henry the VIII notices her and makes her his "Quiet Mistress" She does not want to do so but no one in 16th century England refused the King anything because it would be treason....

Well those dishes are waiting.....

5 comments:

Gale said...

I have about 3 or 4 books going right now. One for each place I plant myself. It only gets confusing if I drag the book away from its area.

yoo hoo said...

please tell that isn't your kitchen. Reading "The End of America" quite startling.

Anonymous said...

Qualifier: Not a picture of my kitchen. I have a TIN sink, ugly blue cabinets with pansies decoupaged on and bathroom tile counter tops. REALLY unattractive. I would love to do a rehab but must wait until I win the lottery because I would have to send all inhabitants to another locale until it was all accomplished.Oh yeah, I got the dishes done.

Anonymous said...

Hello there! The picture looks like my place when I come home from work!!!! I left it clean,, but honey home sick...poor baby...just love tackling another duty after a long day. AND, the dishes can wait...I'm reading.

Uncle Spud & Aunt JoJo said...

Since relocating to the polygamist capital of the FLDS world I have been reading about this weird practice. Several good books available, all I can say is you need a sister wife to help with the dishes.