Thursday, November 22, 2007

Not too terribly traditional Thanksgiving



When Thanksgiving comes on the 22nd, it feels weird, granted I have more time between now and Christmas to blame the cats for not decorating but...

I had indulged in one of those pre-cooked frozen turkeys a few weeks ago and the tryptophan had not quite worn off so I thought to prepare something a little different.

I made the pumpkin pies and cranberry orange jello. I also went shopping and picked up two juicy grade A steaks, a bag of miniature yams, sour cream, and makings for cauliflower and broccoli salad. Also grabbed a loaf of French bread to make garlic bread. I baked the yams and some new potatoes tossed together in a pan with olive oil and garlic. Heaven!

The steaks went into a screaming hot skillet. Husbands went in four minutes before mine, his must be done, mine can be medium. Seared them off, popped them in the oven to finish. Rang the dinner bell and it was fairly decent eats.

The weather here was clear sunny day, cold and crisp. People who live on the coast are not used to a lot of sunshine, we tend to get blinded on the road from all the sunshine flickering through the trees, it can be deadly. So no shopping until it clouds up...just the way we like it.

Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you are comfortably ensconced where ever you are.

3 comments:

Gale said...

Sounds like a wonderful meal. Happy Thanksgiving. We went out to the brother's house and missed everyone by a couple of hours. I did get to see about 300 pictures of Jim's trip to Charlottes NASCAR race, cool. Rich wanted a blog site, so I hooked him up. I think I sent you the link.

yoo hoo said...

Mitch made oyster dressing and he said it was just ok. I made cran orange relish and it still hasn't set up, I made an apple pie that was dry. I used a new crust recipe from Cook's Illustrated and it called for Vodka. There was the actualy chemical recation described and I followed it to the t, but I didn't like the results. We drove to his mom's house and eated and played quarters. I also played poker and won $5...whoo wheee

Anonymous said...

Carla - Oyster dressing sounds good. I might just have to try it see how it goes well on the dinner table here. The pie crust with Vodka sounds interesting where you put the olive?

Gale - thanks for the link I have added it to my list.