Saturday, August 25, 2018

FRIDAY WAS INTERSTING BECAUSE....

Couple of weeks ago, I mailed a letter to Dennis H, Charlies Fathers Cousin.  I asked him for a picture of an old souvenir flag from the Spanish American War.  The flag depicts the name of the ship and Charlie Hageman's picture, fancy embroidery etc.

I heard from his Friday, he called and we got caught up.  He emailed a picture of the flag.  It was nicely framed.  It has always been framed every since around the time Grandma LaVann died I would guess.  Anyway the ensuing gab fest revealed that the big old barn was gone.  Apparently a wind storm tore off the roof and it was too damaged to repair so Dennis had it torn down.  I have always wanted to do something with that can full of old keys that as in the barn.  I wanted to make a tinkling wind chime.  I think it would be pretty.  Dennis and his lady are leaving in a couple of days for an Alaskan cruise, Victoria, on up to Kodiak.  Woot! 
Dennis said that he had put in a pond down near the old orchard.

I also got an email from Robert Udulutch and author of Spot and Smudge.  There is a fourth book!! I yam very happy to see that.

Friday evening viewing was excellent as well.  Battlebots was on and Good Bones had a new episode and there was a rerun of American Ninja Warriors.  Yawn time for bed.

In parting, I watched a very interesting U tube thing entitled Nine Things Not To Do For Trump.  This was addressed to reporters. Number one was advised not to treat tweets as news.  If one must report, simply state "The POTUS expressed blah blah blah regarding blah, blah blah".  There was couple of other good ones as well.  The important thing to pay attention to is what the cabinet is doing to the Supreme Court. Department of Justice etc.  Stay focused and do not let Trump bait you.  Sounds like very good focused advice.  

1 comment:

Retro Blog said...

I got to wondering how on earth Dennis paid the taxes on the ranch. I remember seeing a tax bill years ago and it was something like 50k. Also Grandma LaVann showed me her giant account book. About once a month she would receive a small dividend from some sort of bond. These paid every six months and she had purchased enough bods so that they all came due on each month of the year. So she had a steady income. Then I remembered that she and Helen had talked about living trust and I figured it out. Living trust went to her children and so on. So those bonds stayed right where they are and they are enough to pay the taxes. Neat. The miracle of compound interest. Yeah.