Friday, November 10, 2017

#METOO sort of....

Amidst the growing cries of #ME TOO, I have given thought to my earlier experiences in the work place.  My first job was assembly line work for Fairchild Semiconductors, near San Rafael, California.

  I applied the first workday after my 18th birthday and was very soon employed on the graveyard shift.  My Cousin Carl dropped me off at 11:30 pm and I was confident I could find a ride home to Petaluma the next morning.  Sure enough there were a couple of ladies willing to take me on as a paying passenger. 

The work force was 99% female, the supervisors were all male.  The only front office force consisted of female secretaries in mini skirts and men in sales and management.

I quickly became aware of the sexual predators in the place cuz women do like to  point out the dangers.  So, I was always careful to take a friend if I had to encounter anyone dangerous and that very seldom happened. 

Actually the only time I ever saw anyone in action was during the rather free style "Party" atmosphere that occurred in some of the men's homes.  Again, did not go alone.  These parties were part of the culture, a get together at home  after work to drink, dance, play tickle and slap.

Only close call was one time I stepped into the bathroom and one man quickly followed me in and kissed me thoroughly.  I somehow managed to get him to leave, I think I told him I was about to wet my pants.  And I avoided lots of things like that.  I was never threatened to give it up probably because this was the 60's and poontang was fairly available.  Just not mine. 

One gentleman at one of the parties was very persistent but I took a nice long walk outside by myself.  Found out later he was very married and had six children.  Being the eldest of seven children I was properly horrified. 

Later on in my career in hospital work, I encountered an authority figure who had wandering eyes, I wore a blouse that showed a tiny bit of cleavage and his eyes fluttered up and down so rapidly I thought he might be having a seizure.  I just ignored stuff like that.  I kept wearing that blouse though, I liked it and it was modest.

Now, I am at an age where I can safely flirt with beautiful young men with a big fat grin.  I am probably over due for a male back lash of #HeyMeToo.

No comments: