Saturday, October 26, 2013

Lovely Autumn Days


Got nostalgic today and decided to drag out one of Mom's old recipes, typed in red, a few crossed out lines over the years but over all a darn good casserole.

Hungry Boys Casserole 1963 winner of the Pillsbury bake off. Mom must have seen the recipe and decided to try it. She followed the recipe faithfully at least once and after that she left out the Lima beans and the biscuits baked on top. Today I have more or less faithfully followed the original except I left out the Lima beans, left out the Accent (mono-sodium glutamate) and I did not follow the biscuit recipe as the canned pop open biscuits work VERY well. So here goes:

1 ½ pounds ground beef or turkey 
1 cup sliced celery
1 clove garlic minced 
 ¾ cup (6 oz) tomato paste
½ cup chopped onion 
 ¾ cup water
½ cup chopped green bell pepper 
One 1 lb can of chick peas or Lima beans un-drained
One 1 lb can of pork & beans

Biscuits
1 ½ cups flour 
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt 
 ¼ cup butter
½ cup milk 
4 tsp yellow food coloring
½ cup chopped stuffed green olives 
 ¼ cup blanched slivered almonds

DIRECTIONS:
Saute in skilled: meat of choice, onion, green pepper, garlic until veggies are tender: Drain, add water, tomato paste, salt, paprika and Accent (NO NO NO NO!!!). Reserve one cup for biscuit filling.

Add beans and peas, simmer: Prepare biscuits-- Sift flour with butter and salt, cut in butter until fine, combine milk and coloring. Add to flour mixture. Stir until moist;knead on floured board 12 times. Roll to12 x 9 inch rectangle.

Combine olives, almonds and reserved meat, Spread over dough,roll up starting with 12 inch side,cut into one inch pieces. Place meat mixture in 12 x 8 or 11 round baking dish. Top with biscuits. Bake at 425 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.

Canned bickies: Roll out each one, fill with meat mixture, roll up, cut in half pop on top of meat mixture in your baking dish, makes 12 biscuits, bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.

Husbands review: He ate it RIGHT OUT OF THE OVEN. Declared it delicious! He looks forward to having some tomorrow when it has had a chance to cool and ever so gently thicken up.

So do any of my siblings remember eating this dish? And if you did, did you like it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't recall every eating that with or without lima beans. Overall? I think mom was a mediocre cook, just saying
gale

Anonymous said...

I do remember this dish and I quite liked it, but I am probably (actually I know) I am the odd man out, I liked Mom's cooking. I still to this day make a lot dishes we had as kids. The only thing I could not tolerate then/now is milk toast. Just the thought of slimy bread in milk makes my stomach roll.... EJ

Retro Blog said...

Yeah milk toast is disgusting and I don't remember her ever making "Graveyard stew" Dad did like to tear up bread in a glass, top with sugar and milk. That was ugly too,