Saturday, March 19, 2011

My new Kindle arrived on St. Patricks Day, Slancha !


About a week after my old Kindle died, I ordered the 3G version.  I was delighted to turn it on and discover all of my archived books were there, all I have to do is highlight the title, wait a little bit and the book is loaded for me.

It took me 48 hours before I learned (by reading the manual) how to turn the Kindle OFF.  Hold on off button for 7 seconds.  Oy!

Didn't take very long to fully charge the battery. 

I rather miss the first generation roller ball that allowed navigation up and down the page to make notes, and I made a LOT of them particularly on POORLY TRANSCRIBED E-BOOKS.  Are you listening Amazon? 

So by process of trial and error I am able to make notes , open Symbols to make use of numbers which are not on the physical keyboard.  Most arduous. One must be really angry to go to the lengths to make a note.  One can also make highlights and these can be publicly shared.  Oh GAWD no, NO PUBLIC SHARING!!

I find it much more difficult to select a word to look up in the dictionary, unless there is a short cut I must select menu, select dictionary, type word and THEN definition pops up, I find that very laborious.  New Kindle I can select ONE word.  Old Kindle would look up entire line.  So, there is a trade off.

Also I can adjust type size to amazingly large, almost one word per page.

Apparently I have built in thing that will read to me.  I will test that as well.  I can load music and have background music while I read.  No thank you, I would find that annoying.

Under experimental, I can browse the Internet.  New Kindle much better, I typed in URL for my blog and there it was!  Not sure if I liked the navigation within the blog but I could view it quite nicely.

I also have the capability of "sharing" with my social network; face book, twitter etc.  NO THANK YOU!!  

Lastly I splurged and ordered the lighted book cover.  The cover is very clever, first generation book cover relied on a couple wimpy corners to keep the Kindle in place. Someone engineered a couple of little brass hook things that the Kindle snaps onto which affixes the cover very nicely.  It took me a bit to actually find the light.  It is located in the top right hand corner, looks like a reinforced corner, pull out corner, itty bitty light slides up and casts reasonable amount of light on screen.  Next power outage we have I will read in the dark and let you know if I find it beyond irritating or not.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the portability of the kindle, but really really love holding a real live book.
I don't have the light thingy but I do have a cover made out of hemp.


security word: blerf

a small inside slightly audible burp

Anonymous said...

I love my real live books as well.

Security word: Splas

Dysplexic slang for applause.

Anonymous said...

Good grief I just searched my blog and my first Kindle came on March 2008, It lasted THREE years. Okay I have real books older than that, a little dog eared mind you but there is a great deal to be said for actual books. Hmph.

Anonymous said...

UPDATE on the Kindle reading to me.
Yep it will read to me, the mechanical voice is not as flat as some I have heard but it is not exactly sensational. Were I visually impaired,this would be a good start. I guess there is a voice activated commands thing so you don't have to ask anyone to open that latest trashy novel you just ordered. sigh....