Thursday, November 25, 2010

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!


Busy week, we received our turkey certificates on Monday so I didn't actually start thawing the bird until after 4 pm.  Alton Brown knows of which he speaks when he recommended the cold water thawing method, cover bird, change cold water every 4 hours, should thaw at a rate of 1 pound every six hours?  If I remember correctly.  Anyway nice thawing had set in by Tuesday, evening so I rinsed off the bird and package, plopped it on a plate and left it in the fridge.  Tuesday evening I made pumpkin pie, Wednesday evening I made cranberry relish jello salad.  Thursday, I got out the frozen rolls, oiled them put two each in the muffin tin and allowed them to double in size before baking (4 hours or so).  I made fairly standard dressing except for the grilled Brussels sprouts and layer of spuds.  I baked the butter nut squash same time as the dressing.
When that came out I prepared the turkey and it cooked in 2 1/2 hours.  While the turkey rested the rolls went in.  I noticed that there were no drippings from  the turkey so we went without gravy.
Dinner is served!  Yummy.


As I deboned the remainder of the turkey more and more juice gathered in the bottom of the pan,  by the time I was done there was a nice collection of drippings so I made creamy gravy and poured it over the boned turkey that went in the fridge disguised as left overs.


It was all over by 4 pm, nothing left but turkey bones in the stock pot busily simmering away.  Oh boy good left overs for lunch bucket.

3 comments:

Retro Blog said...

generating a security word, ignore the man behind the curtain.

Anonymous said...

I may be a bit late ... Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Anonymous said...

Hope you got the weekend off!