Saturday, April 24, 2010

I have been experimenting



...with the sour dough recipe. My complaint is that husband does not like hotcakes. He is more of a veggie omelet or chicken fried steak breakfast eater.

The recipe calls for: 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups starter plus two tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar, t1 tbsp oil and 1 egg. That amount is just fine for TWO people.

I have tried those measurements using a very scant one cup of starter and it was so salty and gassy that while cooking so many bubbles popped and would not stay open, I wound up with a very dark cooked side and flipped it over for 15 seconds and it was fairly tough, very disappointing... AND I could not taste the sourdough, argh.

Next experiment I used 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda,
1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 and 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon oil and I used the whole egg, but if you are watching your cholesterol try separating the egg and using the white only. This cooked up well and tasted very good, and using the scant one cup of starter, made three very adequate 6 to 8 inch size pancakes. Add butter, syrup, consume with cold milk and daily medications and then wash the dishes. Yummers!

5 comments:

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

Looks soooo good!!! Guess what we are having for breakfast tomorrow? Not Sour Dough, but at least hot cakes. I don't normally care for hotcakes, this just looks too good to let it go.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

We went out to breakfast yesterday and I had bacon pancakes....they were actually quite good.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me please, its my first comment here and all ... but what are you doing there? Is it Palatschinken or crepes? Can come sweet or - well, what is the opposite? "Hearty" maybe. Some were made with egg, others only with flavour. And there is of course the potatoe version ("Rösti" or such name in Switzerland or South Germany) that I full-heartedly hate. Cooking is adventure!

Retro Blog said...

Hi Mago, welcome.

Sourdough hotcakes are a bit on the heavy side, they are definitely NOT crepes. The batter is very yeasty and thick, and takes about 2 minutes to cook on one site and 30 seconds or so when flipped. These are substantial and will fill you up! My mother made these regularly for her family of seven children. We loved them.

Anonymous said...

Two minutes! We had something with a very thin and "fluid" dough. I remember that the pan had to be very hot, butter came in, the "dough" and they had to be turned and came on the plate (Teller). Fast. She would make a cream with spices and even some ham to put over, roll, and cut or use hands. aftter some with that cream some were eaten sweet, sugar and cinnamon. There was a thick variant that was eaten only with mashed apples.