Friday, February 26, 2010

Rainy Day Project

I meant one of those financial rainy day projects. We have a medical expense coming up on March 1st and we have not met the deductible. The medical center wants 1200 cash up front or no deal.

So, there is Uncle Sammy's refund as well as a smallish certificate of deposit and Grandma Horn's 4 gallon butter churn. She told me once that it always felt like she was marking time when she churned butter.

For over ten years we have been tossing changing into the butter churn. I estimate that it was about 1/4 full and very heavy, I could barely tip the churn up enough to tip the coins into a large rubber dish drainer.





After a couple of tedious days of intermittent sorting I came up with:

12.95 in pennies
28.95 in nickles
63.20 in dimes
182.50 in quarters

one paper dollar bill
one fifty cent piece
one Canadian dollar (A loony)
one dollar coin.
One Barrow transportation bus token (No idea how THAT got in there)





Just out of curiosity I decided to weigh this collection of coinage. Anyone wanna guess how much approximately 300 dollars of coins weighed?

I will post the answer if anyone is curious.

Now, my only problem is transporting this to the local bank and pleading to accept my coin count and deposit it in the checking account.

I read a SciFi story years ago about a town that was cut off from the rest of the world due to some horrific reason and the town had to figure out how to survive in a reduced civil fashion. One couple started a bank, their paper money was based on the coins they had in their household. The book explained how their coins were as good as Fort Knox gold. I never studied Economics in school, my idea of balanced finance it to round it up to the next whole dollar before subtracting in my check book,builds up a nice little nest egg after while.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is 48 pounds. EJ

Anonymous said...

Approximately 28 lbs give or take a few ounces. The scale won't trigger at smaller amounts so I had to weigh myself, pick up the box of coins and weigh the total weight and if my math skills haven't completely atrophied, it's 28 lbs. Wouldn't want to get hit in the head with a sack of quarters. Concussion city. R

Anonymous said...

Don't they have coinstar there? It's totally worth the percentage they keep so I don't have to count my change.

Gale said...

For a second there, I thought you were going to sell the churn. I have a fish bowl of change, not sure what I am saving for...maybe a bigger fish bowl.

Anonymous said...

I better google coinstar, I think I saw on at Freddy's. Hmmm. Thanks!