Thursday, February 25, 2010

I was hungry......

I watched a show on Food Network called "The Best Thing I Ever Ate". The topic was pizza. One lady related that her favorite pizza was made with a thin layer of potatoes. And fired in a genuine brick oven at temps far higher than that attainable in the average home range.

So I googled a recipe. One called for home made pizza dough made in two steps, two risings. One called for the potatoes to be sliced and steamed over boiling water, another said to rinse the slice potatoes five times to get rid of the starch. Oh and use either Yukon Gold or Small new potatoes. And cheese, Feta, Mozzarella. Spices; garlic,Rosemary. Rosemary always smells like I am eating a tree. One recipe called for capers. I opted to do without Rosemary or capers and went with sour cream and shredded five cheese in a bag that just happened to aging nicely in the fridge.





The pizza dough came out of one of those pop open tubes and I jumped when it popped open and unrolled it and cut it in half and molded each piece into a glass pie plate. I then drizzled a little olive oil on the crust, some sour cream, a sprinkle of 5 cheeses and topped with thin slices of well rinsed potatoes. Salt, pepper, bake at 425 until crust is dark brown.



Okay, the recipe DID call for oiling the pizza pan, or in this case the pie plate.
I will do that next time, it was a bit of a tussle to get the pizza out of the pie plate and onto a regular plate. My ulu sliced them nicely. They were chewy but delicious. Just big enough for one pie each. Four greasy thumbs up!

No comments: