Thursday, October 29, 2009

More cooking adventures..a cautionary tale and the solution.




This is how I would ideally like to roast my peppers when I am making Tamale Pie. However, I don't have a gas stove. I no longer have exposed electric burners, I have a flat top, which does not allow happy grilling of peppers.



I had tried roasting in the oven previously but it took forever. So I thought I would try an oven proof glass casserole dish on top of the flat top burners. Well, that worked fine for the first few minutes. The peppers were getting a few nice blackened areas. The glass casserole dish was rattling merrily away (huh!?), I turned my back and KABOOM SHATTER the dish broke into several large pieces. Shoot, spit and dirty socks! So I turned everything off, gathered up the big pieces with tongs and turned off the burners. When everything had cooled I cleaned the stove top and surround meticulously.


I completed the cooking process with my good old humongous frying pan to roast the peppers etc.

I have been thinking that I need something to really grill stuff, so I just ordered a flat stove top grill. It will grill peppers nicely and from the looks of things, I should be able to grill just about anything else as well. Steak, other innocent veggies.

3 comments:

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

Don't forget the flack jacket.

Anonymous said...

we roast our peppers on the gas grill, it works lovely, but then you probably don't have a gas grill, do ya?

AuntJoJo said...

Here is a fun site with a ton of recipes http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/# I know there are unlimited recipes to find on the internet, but this cheesy site has some pretty off the wall stuff that you might like.