Saturday, October 24, 2009

GREEN TOMATO PICKLES



GRANDMA HORN’S GREEN TOMATO PICKLE RECIPE:

This recipe is for approximately seven pounds of green tomatoes. Do not bother trying to use cherry tomatoes they turn soft and mushy. Select a smallish variety of tomatoes in order to fit in the jars.

DAY ONE: Slice 7 lbs. of green tomatoes into ¼ inch slices.

Cover with two gallons of cold water mixed with 2 cups of pickling lime (slaked lime). Let stand for 24 hours.

DAY TWO: Rinse and cover with cold water let stand for 3 hours. WARNING: Do not under ANY circumstances pour the lime water down the drain. I’m not exactly sure what happens if you ignore this warning but I would guess that the pipes either seize up completely or the lime eats its way through them. I’m betting massive blockage. Gonna make some plumber happy no matter what.

Drain and cover with 2 quarts of white vinegar mixed with
9 cups sugar,
1 tsp. celery seed,
1 tsp. ground cloves,
1 tbsp. whole pickling spice and
1 tsp. of salt ( I used Kosher).
Add enough water to cover. Allow 24 hours.

DAY THREE: Heat slowly, bring to a boil and boil for 35 minutes. Can while hot and seal.

This is the second batch I made this summer courtesy of the bounty of friend’s gardens and out right begging for pickles from at least one of them. This batch all fit into twelve half-pint jars and will be Christmas gifts lemme see that’s Hannah, Joyce, April, Vickie, Reggie, Sarah, Sue and Gale. Yay! FOUR jars left over for…. ME!!! Members of my family have been kind enough in the past to actually make and send me a jar of these luscious pickles. Thanks guys!!

Occasional Grandma Horn would fix hamburgers if I were staying with her. She would grill the burgers, gently grill the buns, slather on some Mayo and the only topping was a lovely big old slice of green tomato pickle.

Oddly enough we never had fried green tomatoes even though Grandma was from Missouri. She loved the pickles THAT much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like these pickles, so does Mitch. Were the cherry ones squishy? I never know, cuz I don't eat em.

Retro Blog said...

by squishy I mean they were not as firm as the larger variety of pickle. I ate them anyway! Thanks. R

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

I had A girlfriend one time named pickles.Putting her in the jar was a battle. The screamin didn't stop till the lid went on , but after that she was a go any where type of gal.

Later
RB