Saturday, November 7, 2009

Review of Devil's Kitchen and some other stuff...



Friday I went to lunch with two co-workers. We decided to go eat at The Devil's Kitchen. It is a former brand name drive-in, there is adequate parking. Another co-worker raved about their breakfast menu. I ordered a slice of Quiche Du Jour(mushroom and ham), Gail ordered the Quiche with fruit and country fries, Sue ordered the Reuben. The food was delish. The Reuben looked wonderful, not over stuffed just the right amount of everything and just a hint of Thousand Island dressing. The Quiche was light and eggy, not too much meat or mushroom and the crust was done. Yummy,will do that again. I would skip the canned fruit as well unless you really LIKE canned peaches.

I reported the meal to husband and we went there for breakfast this morning.

I ordered the crepe with strawberry and whipped cream and husband ordered the chicken fried steak with rye toast, hash browns and scrambled eggs. I snitched some of his hash browns and chicken fried steak. Very tasty. Unfortunately there were two points off for lack of blackberry jam and no discernible public toilet. The price was excellent as well, under 20 dollars including tip. They are only open until 2 pm so go early, they were reasonably busy while we were there. Oh and there was a lovely gas fireplace fired up and putting out some seriously delicious heat.

My little grill came so I decided to try my hand at another casserole dish of Tamale pie. The grill worked beautifully, got some nice blackened action going on a red, yellow and green Bell pepper. I didn't have any paper bags to put the peppers in to steam a bit so I popped them inside my little insulated lunch box and closed the lid. By the time I had the majority of ingredients in the frying pan; Black Angus Beef strips, onion, black olives, hominy, garlic, one chopped jalaeno pepper, chopped tomatoes etc, the peppers were ready to be peeled, seeded and chopped. I saved some of the rinse water from the roasted peppers; used one cup water to one cup corn meal, 8 ounces of Moscarpone cheese and 2 beaten eggs. Mix it all together, let simmer for 10 minutes or so on the stove top. Pour into 10 x 13 casserole dish, bake 45 minutes at 350, when the timer goes off, top the casserole with bag of frozen onion rings arranged artistically or however many you can fit on top and bake an additional 15 minutes.

The Tamale pie is really better the next day but it tastes so good a little sloppy and hot the first day as well.

On a completely different note I have been working on an idea for a gift for my friend who makes necklaces. She packs her product around in a large zip lock baggie. I wanted her to have something a little classier, such as a black velvet carrying thingy. Well I found the black Not So Velvet dress at the Upscale Resale for dirt cheap and I also purchased some clear shower rings and sewed them to the dress and hung my necklaces off the shower curtain rings. What seemed like a real nifty idea in my head in actuality sucks pretty badly, looks like Gypsy meets Morticia. Yeach. Am rethinking this project and am thinking the I should purchase some radiator cover material, the perforated stuff, slip it inside the dress and hang the necklaces off of that. I can't quit bring myself to cut up this lovely size 12 dress, it's so pretty, maybe it would make a nice display for jewelry at a craft fair?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way back in the day when I wore a lot of necklaces, which I don't anymore because it feels like a person choking me with a slow weak grip...anyway. I took a largish picture frame covered it with batting and covered that with velvet and inserted it back into the frame and then used pretty stick pins to hold all the adornments. Worked great for broaches too.

Anonymous said...

Good idea and I don't wear necklaces except for Sue's stuff. so.....I'm still going with the velvet over SOMEthing idea.

Anonymous said...

Nix the idea of radiator cover material, not magnetic enough and ONE sheet of that stuff was 30 bucks! Jeez! Must think on this a bit more. R

Anonymous said...

Have given up completely on cutting up little black dress for jewelery holding purposes. Have purchased a stury clear plastic bag with zipper. That will do nicely. I think I will remove the shower rings from the LBD and put it in the zipper bag so friend can use it as she wishes...sigh...great idea, sucky execution skills. R

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.