Friday, February 27, 2009

Hair and other topics as it strikes me...



I grew up more or less admiring women's haircuts such as this. Mom wouldn't allow long hair, so the closest I came to a style was the family barbershop run with orders to shingle the girls and buzz cut the boys. Meh,I lived with it until I got old enough to be embarrassed by having to get a hair cut at the BARBER shop. One of my best hair cuts later in life was by a lady barber, wonderful!



This is a close to a tattoo you can get without actually applying the ink. Someone shaved the hair close in patterns and left a bit long by the ear to do a bit of extreme styling. Cute but very hard to maintain. And if you decide you don't like it, the options are a knit cap or a full shave and wax n' shine.





This is an example of the extreme Dorothy Hamill wedge from the 70's. I actually begged my lady barber friend to give me a Dorothy Hamill wedge. She signed and acquiesced saying that getting the wedge just right was difficult but she did a very nice job for me and my semi curly hair actually behaved most of the time.

Oh and a modified wedge has made a bit of a come back, I see a few styles being sported at work. In this version the wedge is carried halfway up the back of the head and if you sleep on it wrong you WILL get a bad case of bed head and nothing short of a steam shower will get that bad boy under control. Be warned, always check the back of your hair do in a mirror or at least go take a look if your co-workers glance at you and promptly spew their morning coffee.



For those of you who wish to keep an eye on things. Again very ferocious use of hair styling product ...and eye liner...




An example of runway hair competition style, very extreme and getting all that steel scaffolding to stay just so...and you would have to drive a convertible very slowly..oh wait a big old VAN with seating in the back! Yeah!




Now, I rather admire this basket weave look, it is short, very eye catching and I am wondering just how darn long it took to get such a precise cut and whether oxygen and frequent drugs had to be supplied to the shrieking hair dresser.



A very clean cap like cut. Must maintain the line ABOVE the eyebrows, puleeze. I work with people who at age 30 or better coyly peek at me from behind six inch bangs! Yarrrgh.



This is a refugee from a hair show, I would imagine there is a full bushel of hair padding etc being utilized to maintain the height or a short guy named Vern.

Speaking of hair shows...sort of...years ago a girl friend attended beauty school, as part of her final exam she needed a victim..er model..so she could perform various tasks for the examiners. My sister had actually volunteered to be another friends um model. So there we sat for the better part of eight hours, getting,cut, styled, mock perm wrap and a MARCEL! Also a demonstration of pin curls, as I remember. That is a duration test of feet and bladders. My hat and hair is off to the beautician's of the world.



Very nice lion mane for a famous black personality. I couldn't possible name the person's name because I only watch HGTV, Discovery, Food Channel, etc.



Please God let this be mostly appliances. Can you imagine trying to sleep in that!? Nuh uh, no way. I learned something a bit fascinating a few years ago. I attended a Christian Ladies Retreat on an island in Alaska. There were about 15 of us, and we were poly cultural. I noticed my roommate reach up to pick a bit of lint from the hair of a black lady. The black lady shied away gasping, "Oh don't! That's my wig!" The wig was a rather sad matted Afro and looked authentic to me. I wondered to myself, how bad could the hair be UNDER the sad matted Afro wig? It was a puzzlement and meant for diligent prayer.



And then we have the NO hair option. I have seen chemotherapy patients wearing everything on their heads but tattoos. My personal favorite would be a nice lovely gold and black paisley, it would look sort of like a cloche hat only the full forehead would show of course.

One last comment regarding hair cuts. One of the benefits of getting a hair cut at the barbar shop was when the barber would flip on the vacuum hose and suction off all the short clipped hair bits from your scalp, face and neck. I have not seen such an amenity in modern hair salons but I cannot recommend it highly enough for the customers as well as the hair stylists. Do you realize how much hair they cut and fling about and get all over themselves!? Use the vacuum wand on yourself, ladies, you will love it.

10 comments:

Gale said...

I am the first to say I grow my hair long because wouldn't let us. Contrary IS my middle name.

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

I believe the "unnamed" lady is Beyonce'.

I am just trying to keep from losing all my hair. When I brush it, pieces fill my brush. It seems that medications and my personal life are joining forces, making it fall out. I have lots of new stuff growing in, it just takes awhile to show up.

Richard doesn't have to worry as he is actually getting more hair to grow. He says he quit out growing it.

Love your commentary. I laughed like crazy.

Cathy

Anonymous said...

I too was in a hair show and the dude gave me a razor cute. What a freakin disaster, my hair because it is so curly does not like razor cutes and it makes the hair even more unmanagable. whaaa. I would go bald but I have a very lumpy head.

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

I don't believe I noticed "A line". I hate that kind of haircut and it is a trademark of the gold digging, pill popping, alcoholic (sorry can't seem ot spell), drama queen. That's based upon my observation. :P

Retro Blog said...

Hmm, now that you mention it, I think that maybe the wedge cut I have seen at work IS the A line...and there has been a bit of drama queen involved but not the drugs or alcohol.

Sopwith-Camel said...

I loved the first pic, I have a strong affinity for the 50's and 60's. Nowadays they all look so innocent, and perhaps that's why I still like the appeal.

Perhaps it will be coming round again. (Flash back to Twin Peaks with the Little Man saying to Agent Cooper, "That gum you like is going to come back in style...")

Anonymous said...

Oh Twin Peaks was one of the most confounding television shows, to this day I am not exactly sure whata happened. I do have a dread of evil demons named Bob, however. And I truly loved the music.
One of my favorite recurring scenes would be in the lobby of the hotel and there would be something silly going on the background, a convention of sailors, jugglers. The only thing I didn't see was a Trekkie Con.
Retro

FirstNations said...

I like the chick with the aircraft carrier head. we would have taken Corregidor a lot sooner if she'd been there.

I used to do some of the tall, extreme looks back in my misspent yoooth. all you need is a brush, a can of Aquanet and a blowdryer. that stuff stacks hair like a brick shithouse.

Sopwith-Camel said...

FN, I used to think that some of women's quirky behaviour was due to amount of strange chemicals they breathed in from all the aerosols and bottles of nail varnish stuff.