Friday, February 6, 2009

Books need book cases and lots of them..... otherwise they would sit around in cardboad boxes and a person would forget which ones they read....



I purchased these three book cases from a large store that sold them to me in heavy boxes. I had to painfully assemble them. I am pretty sure I put them together UPSIDE down but they are made of very heavy press board material and hold heavy books. This section is where husband keeps books from his youth and are of a religious nature.You will also notice the use of blocking devices to keep cats out of the book shelves and the sun from shining intensely upon the books. I estimate this bookcase holds approximately 50 books.



These two previously assembled book cases are where I keep the remainder of my Sci-Fi books. I had a huge collection up until late 1990, when I sold most of them at a moving yard sale before moving to Barrow, Alaska. I advertised and people came EARLY because of the size of the collection. Sold the whole bunch...phew!

The bottom row of various colored binders contain the entire 9 years worth of "Bush Diary" that I bludgeoned my family with over the years as part of my annual Christmas letter. Sorry, guys. One person said they liked the Bush Diaries and I made EVERYONE suffer!





This bookshelf came to me courtesy of Carlah Dee Dah. She was in a mood to get rid of furniture, linens, copper collectibles etc. I drove up to Seattle and she loaded me up. The copper is acquiring a very nice patina, (Alton Brown showed me how to mix up vinegar, water, flour paste rub on copper, let set 15 minutes, rinse off to reveal lovely shiny copper ...uh...any way it looked easy on TV.)

Please notice the rather old encyclopedia on the bottom shelf. It was printed in 1947. I used a set EXACTLY like that as a kid to write a report on camels, one humps and two humps. The original family encyclopedia has long since passed to where ever outdated encyclopedia's go. Once my sister told me she had found a set, I asked her to keep an eagle out to get a set for me and by gosh, she found one! So now I can go look at the lovely illustrated children's stories..um if I wish. Thanks!




These consist of four stacking folding bookcases I purchased at Freddy's. I ran out of room downstairs.



Same stacking, folding bookshelves, three of them, half size to fit next to the door.



...and TODAY, I had lunch with a friend who wanted to visit The Oddity Shop down town after lunch. She found some jewelry and I found this cool folding bookshelf for 50 bucks. Husband kindly went back with me to wrestle it into the vehicle. I was able to get almost all of the boxes full of books that have been accumulating on my couch for the past year crammed onto the nifty new bookcase. I will have to keep a look out for another bookshelf to match as the LARGE CARDBOARD BOX next to it is packed three layers deep and contains about 300 books that need shelf space.

As a result of unpacking all of those books, I am happily reacquainting myself with books I had forgotten all about. Yeah!

I estimate that I have about 1000 books. A book store guy I chatted with in Bandon at his book store related that he had 10,000 books in his garage when he decided he had better start a book store.

9,000 to go. Better clean out the attic.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love the folding book cases. I got one and I can't seem to find them anymore. :(

Gale said...

You would absolutely drool over Tim's book collection. He has 4 or 5 very tall shelves packed full of mostly sci-fi. And then piles of books in just about every room. He likes to read then he goes and buys duplicates. Lucky me I get those.

Anonymous said...

Jen, I found most of them at Fred Meyers in the furniture section.

Gale, I get duplicates accidentally as well. It is very easy to order duplicates at Amazon they let you sign up for books that have not yet been printed. However, I have noticed that within the past few months that now when you put a duplicate on your shopping cart, a little red message flashes up saying "you purchased this on such and such a date. That might have been more helpful last Christmas when I ordered a digital camera and when the box arrived, there were THREE of them! So rather than go to the drudgery of RETURNING them, I gave two of them as Christmas gifts. I have begun checking my orders more carefully. Retro