Saturday, February 15, 2020

Tax

This past Valentines day I decided to attempt my annual Turbotax effort.  Oy.

First of all sometime in January I noticed that the vision in my right eye had worsened to the point that I gave up driving.  I discovred  on a recent shopping trip that on an overcast day everything is very gray and foggy.  On a sunny day it is very bright and glaring.  I found it difficult to detect movement of things in shadow such as oncoming  cars and pedistrians.  I was terrified that I would hit something or someone.  I told husband of my difficulties and he has stepped up the driver par excellence.  Thank you Darling Man.

Secondly the laptop computer had become extremely difficult to do anything on unless I wished to look like I had never tried one before this.

The Turbotax CD arrived in the mail I had received all of the tax documents needed to complete the filing so there ya go.

About the only thing I do on ine is online banking.  And after failing to type in the correct log on and password etc I asked husband to please my one or two bills that I had been paying.  Thank you again.

So I loaded the CD and tried to find it to install.  Um after not being able to read the menues I closed everything and went into accessibility mode.  I did some experimenting with size of font color of type face, color contrast etc and finally after about four of five times I arrived at font large enough and dark enough to feel confident that I correctly file the taxes by filling in the forms.

Step one:  Open the CD case which involved using a knife to cut open the security device (tape over opening).  Pop out CD, peer near sightedly at the big assed pass word thing which I would have to type in at some point.  Yay me.  

The CD drive on my lap top is accessed by a teeny tiny button the side which I finally found and the drive pooped open in goes the CD, close door by hand.  Nothing.  Look look look, Jane, I can't find Turbor Tax 2019, search keeps takibg me to BING.  Dammit!!!!

So I tried to eject the dics.  The Drive Popped open, no disc.  WHO ATE MY DISC!!!!

So I picked up the lappy and tipped to to the right and the disc slid out.  Phew.  Reinsert disc, push firmly into spindle holder thingy.  And  push back in machine.

Then began the search he the DVD drive etc.  Finally got the thing going and waited for the update thingy that took about five minutes.  

Got all my paperwork lined up.  Took a break.  Ack!  Commenced to go through menu and prompts.  Got to a point where the text on screen was the same hue as back ground color.  CRAP!!

Save file. Exit program.  Go back through accessbility and and adjusted high contrast and color.

Back into Turbotax.  Much better.  Engarde!!

The thing I love about Turbotax is that the program looks for last years return and imports all of the ID info for me and hubs.   Yay rah!

Mostly I just put in our  1099 from Social Security and got marched through the itemization and as itturned out, no surprise, we did not exceed the standard deduction so it went very basie.  Because I had withdrawn 401K for some debt payment, that boosted us enough so that I must write a check to Uncle Sam.  Not gonna happen next year.

Now onto state filing  Ready? And Go!!  Imported all the razz matazz and although the State of Oregon had some sort of surplus everyone got a kicker if they paid taxes 2018, which we did .  The kicker amounted to 96 bucks. Yay us!!!  Still owe paper check to great state of Oregon.

Okay print this mess.  Zip, zip, zip, repeat two sets.  Called it a day and shut it all down.  Now my next project is scrap up some large manila envelopes to contain all the paper work, the copy of tax forms and theTurbotax disc.  Must put manila envelopes on my list, or perha;s go shopping on Amazon.  Then mail this mess. Ugh.

Now for the tortuous details.  I have not been blogging because I could not type comfortably without crouching near the screen with glasses off trying to see what the Heck I was typing. After all the adjustments I have discovered that I can't find the spellcheck button. So this  all my fault, every bit of it.  Yay me.  

The last refinement. I discovered that if I put the top on an old ampty Amazon box, it gave  me enough height so that I can peer at the screen at a more comfortable angle to use the mouse.  However I have to remove the box in order to use the keyboard.  O bother.  Would someone there please invent a pop desk accessory that will raise the height of the lappy above the desk. I would pay for that. Until then  I will use the empty box.

Yay, me.  Oh yea

Last step, pick box up put back under lappy, play my hidden object game.  I have been playing this game for several years now. I know what all the blurry bits are actually supposed to be.  And if I get my nose about two inches away from screen I actually can see the hidden objects suprisingly enough.  And I am seeing the eye guy on the 27th and I also learned that according to Turbot tax I am not legally blind.  Legally blind is  20/200 best eye with correction.  Husband is standing by as my seeing eye guy.  

No comments: