Saturday, July 27, 2019

Product review

In July 2016, the company, Improbable Foods,  launched its first meat analogue product, the Impossible Burger, which is made from material derived from plants. The company says that making it uses 95% less land and 74% less water, and it emits about 87% less greenhouse gas than making a ground beef burger patty from cows.

The above is the Wikipedia entry.  I watched a television show, possibly 60 minutes, perhaps some other entity talking about this food.  

It was discovered that the reason meat tastes good is the presence of Heme.  The scientists involved discovered that plants produce Heme as well.  They tried out several version and arrived at the present burger patty.  It fries up exactly like a burger patty.  It looked delicious.  I wanna try one!

I heard an advertisement that Wendy's (?) was selling the Impossible Burger, but It would take an act of God and a spontaneous hijacking to get the car to turn into Wendy's, not even the promise of onion rings would sway the driver.

Next when I cast my eye and see...Amazon!!  Yep, they've got it all right for $175.00 and I didn't even look at the quantity.  I ain't paying that much If I have not sampled it.  Yuck!

Yesterday I went shopping at McKay's and asked the butcher if they sold Impossible Burgers.  He said look in that freezer case if there were any left they would be there.  Oh Goody!  There they were in all their frozen glory.  Only the packages were not labeled Impossible Burger but Improbable Burger.  It was 3 bucks for two (Count 'em TWO) patties.  So I bought one package.

The information said that the inside would still be pink, it was done at 160 degrees.  I fried in on medium low five minutes each side.  It fried exactly like a nice big juicy hamburger patty.  Unfortunately the patty developed an outer coating of a crumb like texture that stuck in the pan  So it definitely does not cook like a patty.  

I made up a bun with tomato and pickles and it tasted just fine and smelled absolutely wonderful.  The mouth feel was good and had a very meat like chew.  

Now I am determined to purchase the Impossible Burger because I want to know if it is mo bettah than it's imitation

Over all an adequate buy. 



No comments: