Friday, June 21, 2019

DENTAL ADVENTURES

I have reached the age where my more than 50 year old fillings have begun to fail.  

A few weeks ago the nice little gold cap on molar #19 snapped off in mid chew.  I scheduled a quick check up, they very nicely fit me in and Dr. D smoothed off the remaining snag and I was scheduled for removal of the remaining two roots.  Grrr.

That was quite a tussle.  He gave me the maximum number of shots, ten I think and then told me that we might have to reschedule to try again.  Ugh.  I slurped, "Please hurry!". He persevered and got them both out.  Whew!  That vacant spot that started out mushy remains has firmed into a respectable gap.  

I told him that I had a similar episode of none numbing in Barrow years ago and he told me that local anesthesia processes faster in patients who are fasting. It actually lasts LONGER if you have a hearty meal before doing all dental. Well, goodness I wish I had learned that a few years earlier.  

Then last week I was chewing on lunch and something felt a little extra chewy and probing with tongue I was able to determine that number 29 had literally bitten the dust.  Again the office crew squeezed me into see Dr. D and he pried out the piece that had separated and looked it over and said there were three options; cap, patch or pull.  I chose patch.  So next week I shall EAT A HEARTY BREAKFAST and go get a tooth patched.  

I will also tell him the joke about the drunk who keeps walking back into the same bar and getting refused until he say, "Hey, just how many bars to you work in?"  

If I ever win the lottery I will consider a 30k mouth full of those insert metal rod/ tooth things and I shall blind everyone with my dazzling smile.


No comments: