Tuesday, January 8, 2019

BUSH DIARY APRIL 1998:

I finally got around to reading my first edition of Little Women, the book which I purchased in Sonoma.  I first read Little Women as a young teen and did note that the book was edited for "modern sensibilities".  

Hummm I wonder what I missed?  I was alert for anything which appeared new to me.  I noticed that there were three to four references to the "Nasty Irish".  Not exactly PC but apparently there were enough impoverished Irish starving from the potato famine that their presence was felt in the then current literature.   

There were a lot of one and two line snippets of conversation there and there which was dialog supplied by a minor character which constituted lively chatter.  

There were several instances in which either Jo, Margaret or Mrs. March exhorted Teddy to give up some bad habits such as smoking, billiards and drinking.  

There were several pages that were cut that had to do with the big scene where Jo refused Teddy's proposal of marriage.  He hid himself in his rooms.  Jo went to his grandfather to explain that she had refused.  Grandfather talked her into going to Teddy to talk to him through the door.  He would not come out after high words with his grandfather who had apparently physically shook him.  

The rest of the book was pretty much as I have read it many times.  Because Jo was such a bookworm I became of such books mentioned by title as "The Vicar of Wakefield" which I have read.  There is John Banyan's "Pilgrims Progress" as well as Belsham's Essays.  

I have always felt that an annotated Little Women would be a delightful thing to read because there are so many topical things about which I have no clue.  Perhaps (hint hint) some English Major needs a thesis subject?  Please?

I have been wading through several computer games.  I am getting better at findings things and solving clues. 

Keeping my nose to the grindstone at work.   Nothing exciting to report.

G'night folks.

No comments: